2022 blackberries

BamaProud

Based on the past 5 or 6 years, I'm going to estimate I'll pick around 40 pounds of blackberries over the next 4-5 weeks.
KkEL3Af.jpg

The most I have ever picked in a season is just over 30 pounds.
MULyYyr.jpg

2BUl9o2.jpg

Omega

I'll have to go out to my place to see if they are putting out this year, I must have at least 3 acres of these darn things, but can probably only access a few, though should be a whole mess of them.

BamaProud

Looks really good. Do you know the variety you planted?
Natchez on the left and Ouachita on the right.
(I may have this backwards)
The Natchez ripen earlier and aren't as sweet as the Ouachita but both are great and produce a lot of berries.
From my experience wild blackberries are sweeter and better to eat off the vine. But the thornless varieties are just as good or maybe even better in cobblers, wine, jam/jelly etc...

BamaProud

How long after you planted them did it take for them to start producing?

About a year depending when you plant them. They need a Summer and fall to grow without producing berries then they will start producing. After that the canes will typically produce for 2 or 3 years then die. Once established (after the first Summer/Fall) new canes will grow each Summer/Fall after planting your original canes starting a cycle of a new cane(without berries) and 2 and 3 year old canes that produce.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I had some ordered this spring, and they got canceled. I'm going to try again this fall.

BigRod

Hey bamaproud, I've been pickin ziplock bags full every day for a few days. I've noticed after washing them and what not that they turn red after freezing. Am I doing something wrong?

Latest posts