2018 Blackberries

BamaProud

My blackberries are blooming. Last year I got 25 pounds off these canes that were half the size they are now. Sould be a bountiful harvest in a few weeks.
DXxn48s.jpg

I made 25 bottles of wine last year, this year I hope to make another batch of wine and have plenty for cobblers and other goodies.

DaveB

That is one Amazing vine.

Be interesting to see if the fruit size stays the same.

You know the name of the BB variety?

BamaProud

I think they are Natchez. I planted it 3 years ago. The first year I only got a few dozen berries, last year 25 pounds. I don't plan to cover them in netting this year. Hopefully the birds won't eat them all.

spoon

BamaProud":29eapm0o said:
Do you cover them with netting to keep the birds out? I did last year, but is was a pain to pick them.

Yes. I'll cut holes large enough to get hand through about every 4-5'

DaveB

Wife saw harvest, I have to plant.

Variety= Natchez

Any particular neat/cool ground prep you undertook prior to planting?

Any particular annual/semi-annual/every month fertilizing and what kind?

Is that rubber coated wire or just cord used as stringers?

Must be self pollinating....I do not see a pollinator vine.....that right?

Your fence line looks to get southern sun?

BamaProud

Full Sun until late evening. I fertilize in the Spring with the same stuff I put on my lawn( I think its 15-5-10) and throw shrimp and crawfish shells in the garden maybe a couple times per year when I think about it. The wire is clothes line wire. Yes it is rubber coated. Variety is Natchez and I guess it is self-pollinating.

I just decided to give it a try a few years ago with little to no research and it has done very well. It took a year to get established though. I bet you could plant now and have a few berries next year.

DaveB

okay, the variety you selected is apparently pretty good, even if it was perfected in Arkansas.

"
About Natchez Thornless Blackberry Plant...

The Natchez Thornless Blackberry Plant availability has been eagerly awaited since its development in 2007 by researchers at the University of Arkansas and the United States Department of Agriculture. Due to its consistently high yields of large, great tasting berries, the Natchez Blackberry is thought to be a replacement for many of the current commercial thornless varieties and re-establish profitability for growers. Also, there have been no disease problems observed with the Natchez Thornless Blackberry Plant, so it is also being recommended for home-growers.
The Natchez Thornless Blackberry fruits are very large, elongated and glossy black in color. Weighing in at 8-9 grams each, it only takes 3-4 berries to make an ounce. Natchez Blackberries have a 9.5% sugar content which makes them great for jams, jellies, juice mixes or just eating fresh off the bush.
The Natchez Blackberry is considered an erect to semi-erect variety, but would truly benefit from trellising. Some extra support will be especially appreciated in early to mid June, when its abundant yield of berries begin ripening. The Natchez Thornless Blackberry Plant was developed to be very adaptable and is expected to grow well in all areas of USDA zones 4-9.
"
Fertilizer is recommended 4-4-4, fish oil emulsion.

They ship no plants until November 15. Another retailer sells today.

Many thanks.

TN Song Dog

DaveB":o10y9loa said:
Wife saw harvest, I have to plant.

Variety= Natchez

Any particular neat/cool ground prep you undertook prior to planting?

Any particular annual/semi-annual/every month fertilizing and what kind?

Is that rubber coated wire or just cord used as stringers?

Must be self pollinating....I do not see a pollinator vine.....that right?

Your fence line looks to get southern sun?
I'm following also! Love blackberry cobbler

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts