2016 deer mounts

AT Hiker

One I worked on this morning. I will continue to tweak him a bit while he dries over the next few days.

Ohio Taxidermy Supply semi-sneak right turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Tennessee Lead":10dxkgrx said:
I like it.
May have to check into OTS forms for this years buck.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Its your dad right, that does taxidermy? If you get an OTS pay the extra $6, or whatever, and get the alpha nose. Its a pretty sweet concept that saves a lot of time.

Tennessee Lead

AT Hiker":1onmc0wg said:
Tennessee Lead":1onmc0wg said:
I like it.
May have to check into OTS forms for this years buck.

Its your dad right, that does taxidermy? If you get an OTS pay the extra $6, or whatever, and get the alpha nose. Its a pretty sweet concept that saves a lot of time.

Yep you're correct.
I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks for the tip.
It does look great.

AT Hiker

If you take a close look at this buck he is battled and scarred up pretty good. He was killed in late October but still had some serious wounds. Actually half the wounds must have been from years past. His left eye is all jacked up with scar tissue, his skull plate damaged and his right side of his neck has a huge scar that is practically hairless and the underside of his skin in that area had a lot of scar tissue.

bigtex

Looks great ATH, you nailed the eyes, mouth and nose. Great job on the ear pose as well.
BTW, I have a couple of fresh WT capes 17-18" neck 7" eye to nose if you need them. Already turned the ears and lips on one of them. These are two that I killed this year but decided to just do Euro mounts on them.

AT Hiker

bigtex":21i0fiew said:
Looks great ATH, you nailed the eyes, mouth and nose. Great job on the ear pose as well.
BTW, I have a couple of fresh WT capes 17-18" neck 7" eye to nose if you need them. Already turned the ears and lips on one of them. These are two that I killed this year but decided to just do Euro mounts on them.

Thanks! I might get back with you on those capes. I have a couple "iffy" ones that Im hoping I can save.

fairchaser

Great job AT. I look at a lot of mounts and many of them I wouldn't hang on my wall. I guess it's very much an art form versus "by the numbers" because some just don't have it. The eyes are the hardest part to get right where they look natural. How many whitetails have you mounted?

AT Hiker

fairchaser":3kr3kt4z said:
Great job AT. I look at a lot of mounts and many of them I wouldn't hang on my wall. I guess it's very much an art form versus "by the numbers" because some just don't have it. The eyes are the hardest part to get right where they look natural. How many whitetails have you mounted?

Thanks!

It is an art form no doubt, its the taxidermist interpretation of what the animal looks like.

On the other end, or "by the numbers", some throw them together and get them out the door ASAP. They have very little time in them and typically less cost, therefore they charge a very low price. Plenty of hunters out there that want a "mount" and want it cheap and quick.

Also, this mount is "wet" and not finished. I just wanted to get a snow pic, I was a little late though.

**I have mounted not many more than 200, if that many. But I have countless hours invested.

MRUTVOL

AT Hiker":38w7q4v0 said:
If you take a close look at this buck he is battled and scarred up pretty good. He was killed in late October but still had some serious wounds. Actually half the wounds must have been from years past. His left eye is all jacked up with scar tissue, his skull plate damaged and his right side of his neck has a huge scar that is practically hairless and the underside of his skin in that area had a lot of scar tissue.

Are you going to leave the scarring or bare spots around the eyes or airbrush them out? I always airbrush mine unless the customer insist on leaving the original way. Makes for a much cleaner and attractive looking mount. Nice look !

AT Hiker

MRUTVOL":1f59ovo5 said:
AT Hiker":1f59ovo5 said:

Are you going to leave the scarring or bare spots around the eyes or airbrush them out? I always airbrush mine unless the customer insist on leaving the original way. Makes for a much cleaner and attractive looking mount. Nice look !

Thanks!
I will blend it with the airbrush as much as I can. These are pretty bad scars so its limited what I can do with them.

Mike Belt

I'll admit that brushing the scars in makes for a "cleaner" looking mount but personally I kind of like them. It sort of defines that particular buck and gives an insight as to just how he lived the last few weeks of his life. I have a 9 pointer on the wall that had really done battle before I shot him and has a couple of 6" long bare scars down the middle of his throat to show for it.

Latest posts