2006 25hp Yamaha 2 Stroke Outboard

david k.

Long shot but just looking for advice or direction. This motor is a 2 cylinder with 2 carbs, one for each cylinder. The carbs are positioned one on top of the other. I had ordered the kit to rebuild both carbs and the fuel pump, which is on the bottom carb. I rebuilt them and everything was super clean inside but I still sprayed it all down with carb cleaner. I put everything back together and its still doing the same thing, which is leaking from the top of the carb for the lower cylinder. It is leaking right at the gasket that is #11 on the diagram in the link below. The plate above that gasket, part #10, is stainless steel with no apparent damage...in fact, this is the first time I've ever had to wrench on this motor.

Any idea what might cause a leak here? Thank you in advance!!

Here is the diagram:

25 carb.jpeg

Last edited:

david k.

Update....I pulled the carbs back off and apart and went through the entire cleaning process again. I ran a small piece of wire into every opening and almost used a full can of carb cleaner on each carb. I also went to the extra step of pulling the pilot jets out, I had not done that the first time because they are very delicate, easy to break and just really a pain to reset....but once I got everything back together it fired on the first try. I had to adjust the pilot jets and the idle a little but its running like a Singer Sewing Machine.

If anybody needs any shade tree boat mechanicin' done, I'm pretty reasonably priced and can usually get it right the second or third time! Haha!

Big Pop

Update....I pulled the carbs back off and apart and went through the entire cleaning process again. I ran a small piece of wire into every opening and almost used a full can of carb cleaner on each carb. I also went to the extra step of pulling the pilot jets out, I had not done that the first time because they are very delicate, easy to break and just really a pain to reset....but once I got everything back together it fired on the first try. I had to adjust the pilot jets and the idle a little but its running like a Singer Sewing Machine.

If anybody needs any shade tree boat mechanicin' done, I'm pretty reasonably priced and can usually get it right the second or third time! Haha!
You charge by the hour or by the job? Asking for a friend.