200% Licence Increase for WY NR Hunters In the Works

Texan11285

Maybe it's time for a TnDeer WY hunt, pool the points & go 😜
Went and chased Lope 2 years ago. Had a blast but didn't catch up to one. I'm in Tennessee now with 4 elk points that I may never get to use at this rate. They got you by the sac because you have to buy a point every other year or you lose them. NR hunters supports them.

AT Hiker

Look what was introduced the tail end of Jan and passed by the WY TRW (House Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee), rumor has it that it stands a good chance of passing both the full house and senate, then of course signed into action. This is for regular priced tags, not special like we discussed already. Add approximately $40 for the other fees, etc.

Another bill passed the TRW in regards to shed hunting, basically giving residents a three day head start before NRs show up.

Here is the essential text. Some other jargon about 40% set aside for the below price and 75 deer tags set aside for "national bow hunt". I have no clue what's going on to be honest...I mean these reg prices are more than the special?
"
Nonresident elk license ...... $576.00 $1,258.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xix) of this section;

(ii) Nonresident deer license .... $288.00 $826.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xv) of this section;

(iii) Nonresident antelope license ..... $288.00 $874.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xxxi) of this
"

gtk

Staff member
Western hunting for non-residents, is quickly becoming a rich mans sport. No way I will pay $700 for CO elk , $400+ for CO Deer, and then throw another $900 for WY antelope.

Buzzard Breath

I'm going to try this again. I'd had something written up, but when I went to proof read it before hitting "post reply" it didn't even make sense to me.

What they're doing is actually going to generate more money than the last proposal. They are making the majority of the tags more expensive and hoping to push more applicants to the now "cheaper" special tags, thus reducing point creep for the general tags because there are more of them and they are more expensive. This will also send point creep through the roof for the fewer less expensive special tags, which won't actually cost less than the special tags do now.

AT Hiker

OK, after some deep thought and discussing this with Big Johnson and Stinky Breath it makes more sense...sorta.

Basically, this is the same exact bill (minus some wording, I assume) that got voted down a couple weeks ago. The 40% of tags represent the special allocations, the scratched out figures represent the current difference between regular and special tags. Take antelope for example; current regular tag is $326, special is $614 which is a diff of $288 (which is what is scratched out in the bill). Now the new difference proposed is $874, which add that to the regular tag would then make the new special antelope tag $1200.

***I think I figured out what happened. Per the Eastmans blog @tellico4x4 shared it appears the original bill wouldn't pass the constitutional sniff test. Appears the original bill started out in the Senate vs the House where it should have. This current bill is the exact same, it is just following the correct procedures this time.

No wonder crap gets passed not knowing what is in the bill.

So here is an AT Hiker interpretation of this highlighted in red
Nonresident elk license ...... $576.00 (current difference between reg/spec) $1,258.00 (propsed diff between reg/spec) in addition to the license fee (reg fee is currently $692) imposed under paragraph (j)(xix) of this section; Making the NR special elk tag fee $1950 vs the current $1268.

(ii) Nonresident deer license .... $288.00 $826.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xv) of this section; Making the NR special deer tag fee $1200 vs the current $662.

(iii) Nonresident antelope license ..... $288.00 $874.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xxxi) of this Making the NR special antelope tag fee $1200 vs the current $614.

Last edited:

gtk

Staff member
ANTELOPENonresident$326.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.
ANTELOPENonresident Doe/Fawn$34.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.
ANTELOPENonresident Special$614.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.

Refresh my memory. What is the "Nonres Special" ? Is that the buck + any antelope tag?

wjohnson1983

ANTELOPENonresident$326.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.
ANTELOPENonresident Doe/Fawn$34.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.
ANTELOPENonresident Special$614.00If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $15.00.

Refresh my memory. What is the "Nonres Special" ? Is that the buck + any antelope tag?
I forget the exact break down, WY allocates x % of tags possible to non res. Of that percentage 40% is special and 60% is regular.

No difference in the tag except cost. Theory is higher tag cost would have better odds because less people would put in for it. Right now the cost hasn't really deterred anyone from going in special.

Above bill would make the special tag ~$1000 more than regular

tellico4x4

OK, after some deep thought and discussing this with Big Johnson and Stinky Breath it makes more sense...sorta.

Basically, this is the same exact bill (minus some wording, I assume) that got voted down a couple weeks ago. The 40% of tags represent the special allocations, the scratched out figures represent the current difference between regular and special tags. Take antelope for example; current regular tag is $326, special is $614 which is a diff of $288 (which is what is scratched out in the bill). Now the new difference proposed is $874, which add that to the regular tag would then make the new special antelope tag $1200.

***I think I figured out what happened. Per the Eastmans blog @tellico4x4 shared it appears the original bill wouldn't pass the constitutional sniff test. Appears the original bill started out in the Senate vs the House where it should have. This current bill is the exact same, it is just following the correct procedures this time.

No wonder crap gets passed not knowing what is in the bill.

So here is an AT Hiker interpretation of this highlighted in red
Nonresident elk license ...... $576.00 (current difference between reg/spec) $1,258.00 (propsed diff between reg/spec) in addition to the license fee (reg fee is currently $692) imposed under paragraph (j)(xix) of this section; Making the NR special elk tag fee $1950 vs the current $1268.

(ii) Nonresident deer license .... $288.00 $826.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xv) of this section; Making the NR special deer tag fee $1200 vs the current $662.

(iii) Nonresident antelope license ..... $288.00 $874.00 in addition to the license fee imposed under paragraph (j)(xxxi) of this Making the NR special antelope tag fee $1200 vs the current $614.
Dang, hadn't seen this. Going to generate a lot of revenue from NR while doing nothing for point creep. Folks with 10+ are not going to let the extra $ sway them after waiting years to draw their dream hunt. If unit XX has a significant chance of being drawn with a "Special" application, they'll pony up the dollars.

ThorThor

It is complicated and takes some time to figure out but we'll worth it to get out west. I apply in 10 states every year and try to get two or three tags. I enjoy sitting in a tree as much as anyone but getting out west and exploring new areas cannot be beat in my opinion. It is getting expensive fast however, leaving my truck and flying back to work then back out for another tag gets to be a logistics nightmare. Just tags is the same a good whitetail lease every year, just how it is.
Wyoming will be doing a big fee increase, the worst part is they will be going to 90/10 for deer elk pronghorn in their draw at some point just like they did for moose/sheep/goats last year. It will wreck draw odds and make even a general elk tag go up to 7/8 points. Currently the percentage is 80/20 for deer and pronghorn and 84/16 for elk. People will pay and they know it, safe for this year but next year is up in the air as of now. Been doing this point game for 17 years now it is a long term investment for sure.

Joe2Kool

If I'm reading correctly, the increase only applies to the Special draw. If tags are available after the Special, then they go into the Random, at the $350 ish price.
Been following this on MonsterMuleys forum.

ThorThor

Yes, only special tags, also this will NOT be in effect this year , but elk draw deadline already passed Jan 31. Deer and pronghorn are the same price for 2023. Get out there, those mountains only get taller. Tags are peanuts compared to fuel, I spent over 3k last year on gas. A lot of overtime to cover that but worth it in my opinion.

LanceS4803

Yes, only special tags, also this will NOT be in effect this year , but elk draw deadline already passed Jan 31. Deer and pronghorn are the same price for 2023. Get out there, those mountains only get taller. Tags are peanuts compared to fuel, I spent over 3k last year on gas. A lot of overtime to cover that but worth it in my opinion.
So it's time to burn my pronghorn points? sitting at 6

AT Hiker

So it's time to burn my pronghorn points? sitting at 6
Watch the winter, it has been brutal in WY. Good news is antelope draw is a ways off.

With 6 points you're still far away from traditional "trophy" units but you should be able to get into a good public land unit with excellent access and plenty of average bucks to chase.

Only benefit of waiting for some good back to back weather years is that any unit can produce a B&C with the right ingredients.

I say keep an eye on winter kill, if it's not terrible go for it.

LanceS4803

Only benefit of waiting for some good back to back weather years is that any unit can produce a B&C with the right ingredients.
I say keep an eye on winter kill, if it's not terrible go for it.
I have competing points in UT and WY. From my understanding, UT just doesn't produce the high scoring antelope that other states do. So, maybe UT first and hold off on WY.
Decisions, decisions...

Latest posts