2-Pack Baofeng UV-5R Radio $30

Smells Like Sulfur

Just FYI, most of the new Baofeng radios won't transmit on FRS, GMRS, MURS or any of the "business" channels, only HAM. You can plug them into software on the computer and "jailbreak" them, but without that little hack, they can only be used legally by licensed ham operators, on HAM frequencies. Of course you're more than welcome to listen to whatever you want.

The older models would transmit on FRS and GMRS right out of the box, apparently the FCC wasn't super happy about that because those cheap radios transmit noise over a massive part of the radio spectrum, and can cause interference. They cause enough interference that my RTL SDR picks up the signal on standard FM radio bands.

If you get them I would highly recommend a signal stick antenna, they easily double the range over the stock antenna.

Tenntrapper

Just FYI, most of the new Baofeng radios won't transmit on FRS, GMRS, MURS or any of the "business" channels, only HAM. You can plug them into software on the computer and "jailbreak" them, but without that little hack, they can only be used legally by licensed ham operators, on HAM frequencies. Of course you're more than welcome to listen to whatever you want.

The older models would transmit on FRS and GMRS right out of the box, apparently the FCC wasn't super happy about that because those cheap radios transmit noise over a massive part of the radio spectrum, and can cause interference. They cause enough interference that my RTL SDR picks up the signal on standard FM radio bands.

If you get them I would highly recommend a signal stick antenna, they easily double the range over the stock antenna.

It should also be noted that they put out too much power to be legal on the frs band. Oh, and frs radios can't have a removable antenna...and these do.
I doubt you would ever get caught, but if you do.... it could be expensive.
That said, I've got a couple UV82s that I may have been known to use for that.
If I'm going somewhere there is poor or no cell service, I take one along. Also carry an external twin lead antenna that can be hosted up in a tree for extended range.
If anyone decides to get these, as mentioned above, do away with the "dummy load" they call an antenna and get a real one. I'm not familiar with the one listed above, but I've got Diamond brand antennas on mine. Makes a huge difference. Not quite as good as when I tie into the Diamond antenna I've got on a tower at home, but it does good enough.
Oh yeah, and "Chirp" is the computer program that you can use to program them.

Tenntrapper

Uh, if SHTF……. I won't worry about a fine from the f'ing FCC!!
Completely agree...and that's originally why I got into them. Afterwards, it just made sense for me to get my ham license.
I was just putting the info out there for those that intend to use them as any other frs radio.
Fwiw...gmrs requires a different license than covered by a ham license. Don't quote me on that one...they might have changed it. Either way, with gmrs you don't have to take a test...just pay the fee.