1st traditional

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I've been looking at LongBows recently.Most likely mostly target shooting but might get the urge to take a deer sometime.
Any advantages or disadvantages to having a grip or no grip ??
58" or 68" pro and cons ??I got a Bum shoulder so 50 or 60 lb pull is about all I can handle.
I've been chatting on FaceBook with the man that makes Coolwater solid Hickory bows pretty much to your specs.Ant advice is appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/coolwaters.bows

FOX FIRE

I aint familar with long bows at all, all my hands on have been with a recurve.
Hand grip : think'n I would rather have one, seems it would offer some advantage in comfort & give it a better feel.

Bow length: I do know a longer recurve (62 inches or so) tends to be kind of unhandy in the woods, thers always a limb, twig or briar thats in the way of drawing it back or snags on release, but being on the short and squatty side a 60+ inch bow is nearly as tall as I am.

Bum shoulder: be carefull !! depending on your injury I'd stay away from the 60# draw weight, and even the 50 mite be a roll of he dice, if your used to a compound bow your gonna go thru a learning curve anyway so dont over bow yourself, its easy to do.

Dig around here for info, mite be a good place to start.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thanks For the info Fox Fire.I'm going with a 58" 50lb. Mostly just to target shoot in the backyard.Now if the Big Boy comes thru the back yard I'd like to be ready.Too many homes close by to use a gun.

recurveman

A longer longbow is more forgiving in the accuracy department. A shorter bow allows for better portability but you have to mind your p's and q's when shooting it. I would start with a longer bow and 50 lbs of pull will be more than enough to kill a deer.

Latest posts