180gr accubond weight retention

Jcalder

Doing some final checks before season gets here, and I have some time, decided to see if I could catch an accubond out of my 300wm. If my numbers are correct, I'm around 3200fps. Went thru 4 milk jugs and at minimum hit a 5 gallon bucket of water. Found the bullet on the ground. Weighed 117.3 which is roughly 65%.
716EDE84-49D6-42D6-BA85-F08604908084.jpeg
E9FD86CB-9087-48D2-852A-E87867FE17C2.jpeg
6F21AA7C-5EDF-4F10-8EE4-09FD498E0947.jpeg

Mattt

I believe it will do better on meat. The speed may be shedding some weight. I run accubonds in 7mm08,308. Haven't weighed them afterward but they appear to be mostly intact. Never flattened one like that even on elk.i understand he water test and e difference in mediums. Nice when it all goes rite. Be glad when I have some time to burn some powder.

Jcalder

You are not quite to the top of their load, so it's probably safe. If you were closer we could run it on my Magnetospeed and see how close the chronographs are.
Whose data you using. I'm over about a grain or so using nosler. Thinking I'm over alliants charge as well. Here's when I ran my pressure test
92B92AF1-2AC3-473C-88B8-310730E3C84E.jpeg

Jcalder

I believe it will do better on meat. The speed may be shedding some weight. I run accubonds in 7mm08,308. Haven't weighed them afterward but they appear to be mostly intact. Never flattened one like that even on elk.i understand he water test and e difference in mediums. Nice when it all goes rite. Be glad when I have some time to burn some powder.
I agree. At be least to the fact it'll act a bit different on an animal instead of just water. I was also around 50-55 yards at impact.

backyardtndeer

Good test, like to do the same. Milk jugs are not as effective as gel, but at least gives an idea and you can have confidence that your bullet is not going to come apart on impact. Figure your retention on an animal will be a little better. In 30 caliber, have had great results with the 178 grain eldx bullets, but not sure how they would do at those velocities, running significantly slower out of 308's. I tried milk jug water test with game kings from 308 and they pretty well shattered at around 150 yards. Shame, because they yielded very good accuracy.

Jcalder

Good test, like to do the same. Milk jugs are not as effective as gel, but at least gives an idea and you can have confidence that your bullet is not going to come apart on impact. Figure your retention on an animal will be a little better. In 30 caliber, have had great results with the 178 grain eldx bullets, but not sure how they would do at those velocities, running significantly slower out of 308's. I tried milk jug water test with game kings from 308 and they pretty well shattered at around 150 yards. Shame, because they yielded very good accuracy.
I don't recall finding a gameking but the few kills I had with them in 308 was very disappointing. I used the bthp and don't think they ever opened up. Did try the btsp gamekings but don't believe I ever killed with them. I'd like to shoot eldx but they're hard to find right now. I'm stocked pretty well on NBT and accubonds so I'll be using those a while

backyardtndeer

I don't recall finding a gameking but the few kills I had with them in 308 was very disappointing. I used the bthp and don't think they ever opened up. Did try the btsp gamekings but don't believe I ever killed with them. I'd like to shoot eldx but they're hard to find right now. I'm stocked pretty well on NBT and accubonds so I'll be using those a while
I only shot the game kings on paper and at milk jugs. They failed the test on milk jugs, so I never hunted with them. I have killed 3 bucks with the eldx, all dropped in their tracks. Also shot a few yotes, and they left massive holes. I did recover one that hit near side shoulder and the bullet was recovered just under the skin on the off side. Weighed 147 grains, or 82 percent retention.20181216_100419.jpg

Jcalder

I only shot the game kings on paper and at milk jugs. They failed the test on milk jugs, so I never hunted with them. I have killed 3 bucks with the eldx, all dropped in their tracks. Also shot a few yotes, and they left massive holes. I did recover one that hit near side shoulder and the bullet was recovered just under the skin on the off side. Weighed 147 grains, or 82 percent retention.View attachment 113112
My daughter used an eldx in 25-06 last season. I was impressed with the spike she shot at 200 yards. Ran about 40 yards but had a complete pass thru. She's gonna try 100gr nbt in it this season

Latest posts