West TN Farm Pond Stockin

WTM

along with a couple hundred bluegill youll need some LMB, probably about 30-40 fingerlings. id probably put very few channel cats in there then. the bass will feed on the bluegill and keep their growth rates chugging along. without bass youll have a pond full of stunted bluegill. too many channel cats and theyll raid the bluegill nests and feed on the eggs and fry.

Back Home

Good info. I read somewhere that crappie will do the same. Wish I could have a pond with some crappie, but apparently that's a bad idea too.

JCDEERMAN

We've gotten ours from the Centerville Co-Op. I'd just call the Co-Ops in your area...they typically can tell you the food truck schedule. When I've seen the schedule in the past while there, Ive taken a picture of it

FourWFarm

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,553

Back Home

Big Ben":338a7d59 said:
Not sure if you have a Rural King in your area but we have a fish truck at ours at least once a month with several species for sale. May want to check with them.

I wish. Closest one to me in Lebanon is in Clarksville.

Back Home

JCDEERMAN":39h9wfoh said:
We've gotten ours from the Centerville Co-Op. I'd just call the Co-Ops in your area...they typically can tell you the food truck schedule. When I've seen the schedule in the past while there, Ive taken a picture of it

I may give them a ring. about an hour and a half from me. If I can keep the fish alive long enough, I'd go pick them up.

Back Home

I called Jones Fish Hatcheries today. They have an office on Elm Hill Pike but don't have a hatchery there. They told me you can come pick them up at their location once a year though, usually the last week in March. I believe they are shipped in from their headquarters in Cincinnati. :bash:

FourWFarm

Just saw it in the Fayette Co. paper over the weekend. You might call the 800 number to see when they are coming thru again.
I will post again if I see the advertisement in time.
I usually buy 15 - 20 pounds of flathead minnows in February for mine bass to eat over the spring / summer.

Back Home

I called the Fish Wagon place this afternoon. They're adding me to their email list for Tennessee stops. They told me they don't guarantee the fish to live beyond 45 min to one hour after they give them to you. They said they might make a stop in Hartsville in January. That's about 30-35 min from me. Hope they get down there in Jan.

Back Home

Decided to take stocking the pond into my own hands. Went down to the river last Saturday and then again this past Saturday and Sunday. Stocked 82 bluegill in the pond so far. Going by the fish wagon's guide, looks like I need to put another 75 or so in. I'll throw in some bass and catfish later.

WTM

Back Home":gc56ecoy said:
Decided to take stocking the pond into my own hands. Went down to the river last Saturday and then again this past Saturday and Sunday. Stocked 82 bluegill in the pond so far. Going by the fish wagon's guide, looks like I need to put another 75 or so in. I'll throw in some bass and catfish later.

yeah you better be careful depending on which river you took them from. my sons pond is right next to watts bar and the previous owners did the same. the only problem when they did that, those bass puked milfoil. it took him a year to figure out why there was so much algae in the pond. he had to kill the milfoil, rake all of the milfoil and filamentous algae off, put dye in the pond and aerate it.

Back Home

WTM":27wdljqq said:
Back Home":27wdljqq said:

yeah you better be careful depending on which river you took them from. my sons pond is right next to watts bar and the previous owners did the same. the only problem when they did that, those bass puked milfoil. it took him a year to figure out why there was so much algae in the pond. he had to kill the milfoil, rake all of the milfoil and filamentous algae off, put dye in the pond and aerate it.
No good. Hope that doesn't happen to me. Got them from Old Hickory.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FourWFarm

Saw this at Stockdales in Oakland this weekend if anyone is needing some fish for stocking.
They usually make several stops in West Tn (Collierville and Somerville at least) around the same time; you can probably call and ask for their schedule.

I will probably get some fathead minnows to feed my bass over the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 982

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
huntintn":9jvpcu9l said:
How big are the green fish, I got a buddy that eats the piss iut of them. In mcnairy co too.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last time I was there we caught over 200 LOL

Latest posts