Things to avoid while shopping

Jon54

I'm in the market for a good used ATV. I prefer 4x4 but I'm looking for one that has been adult driven, garage kept. Looking thru Craigslist, I find lots of machines that have been lifted, super big wheels and even snorkels, all of which scare me to death. My last ATV was a Polaris Sportsman 500 and I babied it. Kept it in my garage, never took it into serious mud and had it serviced each year. I found a nice '99 Honda 300 4x4 but the price was north of $3000 for a 15 year old ATV. I can buy a new Honda 425, 2wd for just over $4000.

Gravey

Honda 300 4x4 is the best ATV ever made by any manufacturer in my opinion. Bought this one new in 99 and its as strong today as the day I bought it. Primarily used for hunting and pulling a trailer some around my place. Bought a Rhino side by side a few years back but couldn't part with the 300. Sold the Rhino in the summer and bought a Honda Pioneer 700 side by side. Still can't let her go. If you can find one babied like mine has been I'd buy it.

Jon54

Gravey":3r7f89v0 said:
Honda 300 4x4 is the best ATV ever made by any manufacturer in my opinion. Bought this one new in 99 and its as strong today as the day I bought it. Primarily used for hunting and pulling a trailer some around my place. Bought a Rhino side by side a few years back but couldn't part with the 300. Sold the Rhino in the summer and bought a Honda Pioneer 700 side by side. Still can't let her go. If you can find one babied like mine has been I'd buy it.

What would you pay for one like yours? I found one but its north of $3k for a 16 year old quad

Gravey

Probably in the $2-3k range all depending on how it is. My uncle had an early 90's model that he said he rode at least one hour a day 365 days a year checking his fences. He eventually bought a Rancher 350 the year before they switched to fuel injection but still rode the 300 a lot. He passed away back in October and I went to see him the week prior and ole blue was still out there under the shed. Its lost a lot of power but still ran. Not bad for a 20+ year old atv ridden that much.

280longshot

The Honda 300 will be running when that new one falls apart, jk.
I sold my Honda 300 to my brother, he drives instead of his yahama cause its a work horse.
4x4 is the only way to go and stay away from automatics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buccaneer

I've got a 1987 Fourtrax Foreman 350 4x4 that has been bullet proof. Oil changes and differential lube changes, spark plugs and a new carburetor last year are all I have ever put into it. Run pure gas with Seafoam. Just can't kill this beast.