Screening Adjacent to Neighborhood?

LanceS4803

The neighborhood finally caught up to me.
The owner clear cut the three 1 acre lots adjacent to me, removing ALL the mature oaks, leaving bare dirt. Deer still hang out on my 24 acre side, but before anything gets built, I want to establish some screening. It will run from t-post on the left-straight back into the woods.
Was thinking of a thick wall of switchgrass, but also would like something a little taller, some type of shrubbery.
Any thoughts?
IMG_6058.JPG

Ski

Use Cypress as a visual barrier all the time and it works well. Only downside is I've seen severe droughts kill it.

I like green giant arborvitae. They grow a lil faster than leland cypress and look about the same. Helped my neighbor plant a couple rows last winter and they've already closed up and are about 5ft tall. That's with direct all day sunlight. Reason we planted arborvitae is because several of the cypress he planted a few years ago dried up and the wind blew them over. Not sure the arborvitae will do any different but they sure are growing faster, so hopefully setting stronger roots.

Swampster

I think your switchgrass idea is an excellent first step. I would think in layers after that. Does cane naturally occur where you live? I find that switch cane and river cane can be slow to establish but are nearly impenetrable once they do.

BSK

I like green giant arborvitae. They grow a lil faster than leland cypress and look about the same. Helped my neighbor plant a couple rows last winter and they've already closed up and are about 5ft tall. That's with direct all day sunlight. Reason we planted arborvitae is because several of the cypress he planted a few years ago dried up and the wind blew them over. Not sure the arborvitae will do any different but they sure are growing faster, so hopefully setting stronger roots.
Very interesting.

deerhunter10

Not much of a root ball on any I've pulled up. But I have never ever seen one blowed over either. And I have planted thousands.

LanceS4803

I think your switchgrass idea is an excellent first step. I would think in layers after that. Does cane naturally occur where you live? I find that switch cane and river cane can be slow to establish but are nearly impenetrable once they do.
It is a wetlands, so river cane is very prevalent. But, it doesn't grow thick and hasn't gotten to this part of the property yet.
I'm thinking switchgrass near the property line followed by a line of either cypress of arborv-.

megalomaniac

I like the Leland Cypress as well... I planted a few on my back line to screen my property from the church behind. Did great! But the drought this past summer killed them :(

DeerCamp

The neighborhood finally caught up to me.
The owner clear cut the three 1 acre lots adjacent to me, removing ALL the mature oaks, leaving bare dirt. Deer still hang out on my 24 acre side, but before anything gets built, I want to establish some screening. It will run from t-post on the left-straight back into the woods.
Was thinking of a thick wall of switchgrass, but also would like something a little taller, some type of shrubbery.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 216179
If you want 1st year results, I'd put in a 6 foot wide row of egyptian wheat. You'll need to plant it late spring.

Then plant one of the options listed above (I'd recommend switchgrass) directly next to it. Might have to plant egyptian wheat again next year but by year 3 switchgrass will take over.

DeerCamp

If you want 1st year results, I'd put in a 6 foot wide row of egyptian wheat. You'll need to plant it late spring.

Then plant one of the options listed above (I'd recommend switchgrass) directly next to it. Might have to plant egyptian wheat again next year but by year 3 switchgrass will take over.
It'll look something like this by this fall

1709762923475.png

Latest posts