Newb Find, Needs ID

Nimrod777

Guys, I don't even feel worthy to read in this sub-forum. Always totally fascinated about the idea of finding early American relics. Ages ago Crow Terminator allowed me to hunt Civil War relics with him, and I found several balls and a grape shot, still one of the highlights of my experiences.

At a church camp retreat in Kentucky, I was looking for pieces of chert for the guys we had leading a fire-starting workshop, and I simply walked a few feet and found this broken point:

IMG_8920.jpg

I felt like I'd found a gold nugget! After the camp retreat wrapped up and we were setting things back aright I went back to walk the area, and found this chunk, with all appearances of having been worked. That little rough spot fit perfectly for my thumb, giving a solid grip. It gives the appearance of the base end of an arrowhead being started:
IMG_8932.jpgIMG_8933.jpg

However, I knew if I wanted it badly enough my brain could make it into something it was not at all. Imagine my relief when I took a few more steps and found this lying at the base of a tree, fully exposed!
IMG_8936.jpgIMG_8935.jpg

Would love to know any info you might be able to share about these! Man I wish I knew what I was doing, but you can bet what I'll up to while working a week of Christian camp this summer!

Creek

Congratulations on the killers finds!!!

The first one looks like an awesome bird point.

The second is what looks to be commonly referred to as a thumb scraper and this one in particular appears to have been exposed to heat.

That last pic of a Turkey Tail are what dreams are made of. :cool:

You're on big roll now brother, keep em coming!!

Nimrod777

From the Pic, I don't think your first one is a broken one. Looks like a complete point to me. And that turkey tail is killer!! Congrats.
The first pic may be a bit misleading... that notch is only on one side, so perhaps it was left incomplete, or the notch is damage. The base of the head appeared to be one clean break all the way across.

Unfortunately I can't provide any other angles... I handed it off to a little boy walking the camp with his dad and grandma :)

Latest posts