USDA Funded Habitat Improvement

Creek bottoms

Anyone participating in this program where a plan is designed to include hack & squirt of trees that aren't white oak, the clearing for food plots, controlled burns, etc.?

My biggest concern is the elimination of so called undesired trees. At some point, you're left with white oaks that will eventually be cut for timber and the place would resemble a war zone, which I wouldn't want.

Why is this program being pushed so hard?

Appreciate any feedback.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have performed hack n squirt on undesirable species but not to the point of a single species remaining. This makes me believe you have a majority white oak to begin with. You should request a planting of other native mast producers. The money has been allocated and they are going to spend it somewhere, why not make some improvements at their expense.
Most of these plans come with a term and once it's up you can alter what has been done or continue and some properties will qualify to re "up" for continued improvements. You also get to participate and learn what they do and why.

BSK

If I implemented a program that fostered White Oaks, that plan wouldn't do anything! All I have is white oaks - acre upon acre upon acre of them.

DoubleRidge

Four years ago, following a very selective timber harvest, we worked with our Forester and was able to get the grant approved for a hack-n-squirt project...our Forester sub-contracted the job out to a large crew and with the exception of beech trees, no mast producers were targeted.....hickory, white oak, red oak and all other variety of oaks, persimmon, etc. remain...along with stems that are missed in the hack-n-squirt process.....beech for example....during our timber cut any beech big enough to get a log from was cut and the small beech was targeted for hack-n-squirt....four years later we still have beech trees....but we are not over run with them like you see on some properties following a timber cut.....so the hack-n-squirt and a strategic timber harvest, both having targeted species, wasnt to eradicate any particular tree type...but more so to encourage oak regeneration...while still maintaining some diversity.

Latest posts