Food Plots New Dove Field Help

Ok guys be easy on me, this is my first solo dove field.

So I just bought an additional 250 acres on the front side of my property in AL that I had ROFR on.

I've got 2 15 acre fields split by a small creek (SMZ) that's not but 40 yards wide of just beautiful hardwoods.
I just finished putting 2 fake power lines up (3 wires) the length of each field on both fields so 4 total.

Wanting to plant both fields so I have 30 acres to play with and try to have a few good shoots.

I have a Genesis 8 no-till drill. Can I plant corn with it? If so, what's the magic information I need?

What all would yall plant and how would you set it up?

All I've done is sprayed it with Gly & 24d, then bushed hog, waited a month and sprayed it again 3 days ago. Put 30 tons of AG lime on each field a month ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

megalomaniac

I'm NO expert when it comes to doves. But I would think with 30 acres to play with, I'd divide it into 4 sections. I'd drill 2 in browntop millet and disc firebreaks around them. Cut short when seed heads mature eaely August and bring doves. Burn the stubble after dry and then broadcast wheat for winter crop 1 to 2 weeks before opening

The other 2 sections I'd drill with milo (dwarf sorgham) plus pearl millet. Cut those short mid Sept when seed heads mature. Burn then broadcast wheat late Sept for Oct shoot.

If the lat Aug wheat didn't make a good stand by early Oct, I'd go back with the drill and drill mix of wheat, clover, brassica for winter plot.

deerhunter10

That's a lot bigger then any fields we ever make. We do sun flowers and strip wheat. We did do a 15 acre field and did beans and millet and Sunflowers split thid year. I would for sure split it up and play with smaller sections. At least for us we don't hunt giant groups. Mega hit a lot of great points. The vast majority of out fields are wheat. We make 3 to 6 different fields a year and hunt several others. One we hunt splits their planter in half and does half sunflowers and half corn.

Chaneylake

1983BAD8-C0CD-4E17-80DB-1F18B0979210.jpeg
15172F4C-3DEE-42FF-B6EF-DBFF494DC265.jpeg

Latest posts