Most memorable hunt.

rem270

For such a great question it makes it a hard one to answer.

One that obviously stands out would be my first deer. The year before we had gotten invited out for the early black powder hunt by a family friend. He actually took me that Saturday morning and I remember stopping at the local cafe that morning and eating breakfast. Once we got into the stand I realized I didn't dress warm enough. I had on coveralls but just a t shirt underneath it. I want to say it was around 8 that morning the old man tapped me and said there's a buck. For some reason I just couldn't see the deer in the woods and as I went to turn I kicked the bucket I had been sitting on. I remember thinking oh crap I blew it and he's going to be ticked at me. But he just patted my head and said it's ok.

Fast forward a year later, I believe it was 1995, possibly 1996. We were invited back for the early juvi hunt. The old man pointed in the direction of the stand and told my dad he would have to sit on the limb beside it. We found the stand and climbed up. A wooden stand with no shooting rail, 10' to the top at best. I remember my dad moving around a lot because sitting on a limb couldn't have been comfortable. It was a pretty uneventful morning until about 8:30. 3 does popped out about 50-60 yards away. I remember putting the trusty 30-30 up and my dad cocking the hammer back for me. That scope was moving around like crazy because I was having to free hand it and for a 9 year old it felt like that gun weighed 50 lbs. First shot was a clean miss. Dad racked another in and handed me the gun back. Shaking and free handing I somehow hit the doe with my 2nd shot. I could see on impact that it was a gut shot and she ran in the woods. We waited a while, not sure how long but felt like hours and went to looking. She didn't make it 30 yards inside the woods but wasn't dead. She was on all 4's but staggering. My dad pulled the gun up to finish her off (I don't blame him, to him he probably felt that was the best chance to get it on the ground) but I said no let me do it. So he handed me the gun and I finished her off.

Since that day there's no telling how many deer we've killed out of that spot. We've since replaced it with a better stand as the old wooden one is long rotted away. This stand is the closest one to the truck but if I ever had to pick just one spot to hunt for the season it would most definitely be this one.

Lost Lake

I've looked at this thread for a day or so trying to come up with best one, and truthfully, I have too many memorable hunts to pick from. I've been a fortunate fella that way, and it's one of the main reasons that I started keeping a hunting journal. If I don't write them down, I'm afraid I'll forget most of them in my golden years.

One that stands out was a hunt that some friends and I were on a couple of years ago. I was hunting on the ground, (which I do on occasion when using a rifle), and had picked a good looking place at the junction of three big hollows with two dry branches.

With an hour of daylight left, I noticed something black moving up on a ridge behind me, and consequently, right where my wind was drifting, and wondered who in the heck was riding a horse back in there! I figured that the evening thermals would keep my scent low, but a breeze was actually picking up. As the black creature hit one of the dry branches it turned and came down it right toward me, head lifted, sniffing and grunting as it searched for me. This thing was pissed off.

As he closed to twenty yards I knew I was as in trouble as he saw me shifting to climb a tree. He lowered his head and came at a dead run. I threw up my .444 Marlin, saw black in the scope and fired. Then, I dropped my rifle and started up that tree as fast as possible. He hit my feet with his snout as he went past, and at fifty yards out, he stopped and started wobbling.

I clung to the tree for at least a month before coming down and retrieving my stomped on rifle, and putting a finisher in him. I was shaking so bad I thought I was dancing.

Big old boar hog was as mad as anything I've ever seen. And, I'm sure I Iooked like a horny monkey as I humped my way up that tree, but I was glad to know that I can still climb quickly if I have to.

You can see in one pic where my first shot at ten yards hit.

Attachments

• 13ED6D08-1570-43E7-B4AA-49B4E3B4BF64.png
    13ED6D08-1570-43E7-B4AA-49B4E3B4BF64.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D058DBB2-4641-41CD-B4F0-E719622596D9.png
    D058DBB2-4641-41CD-B4F0-E719622596D9.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts