Most memorable hunt.

bowtechgump

I didn't want to overtake or place "shade" on any other thread. I am curious about what you remember about the hunt that changed you. I killed the buck at the top, while hunting with my father for the last time in the "deer" woods. I have no doubt that today everyone loves the animal and the moment but I am worried about the journey. I grew up listening to stories about seeing poop in the woods. I was born and raised in Ohio, owned land in Indiana (big buck territory today), my family from 🎤 and Kentucky would come stay with us for a week every year to hunt. They hunted on Land O Lakes Farms (butter).....I am going through that....to ask about what was your most memorable hunt....regardless of the outcome.

bowtechgump

20240115_162045.jpg

Rackseeker

I still remember the hunt like it was last year but it was over 40 yrs ago. I still hunt the same tract of land today. My Dad always let me stay out of school the Friday before the youth hunt and we would camp. That year a family friend and his son went with us. Dad and I went up the weekend before and scouted. I remember he made me build my own stand to hunt out of. He even let me pick the spot. The other spot we had picked out had a big rock to hunt off of. I built a platform between 2 small poplar trees about 15' off the ground. Back then it was always kinda cold the first week of November or seemed that way because we didn't have good clothes back then. Camo for kids didn't exist but I had some because my mom made me a set out of Camo material we purchased at a fabric store. Well that morning the kid and his dad shot around 7:30. I just knew he killed the buck that was making all the sign that was in there. About 8:30 I was about froze, my Dad was on the ground about 50 yards behind me in a tree top wrapped up in an old wool army blanket. I know he was watching me shiver and shake. He motioned for me to stay alittle longer. Then I heard a deer runnning and the 10pt came by chasing a doe and stopped down in the hollow below me about 50 yds. The ole 30/30 with a hollow point done the trick on him. We got back to camp and (Jimmy)the other kid got a nice 7pt. Hunting was a lot different back in those days.
IMG_0204.jpeg

Last edited:

7mmWSM

I still remember the hunt like it was last year but it was over 40 yrs ago. I still hunt the same tract of land today. My Dad always let me stay out of school the Friday before the youth hunt and we would camp. That year a family friend and his son went with us. Dad and I went up the weekend before and scouted. I remember he made me build my own stand to hunt out of. He even let me pic the spot. The other spot we had picked out had a big rock to hunt off of. I built a platform between 2 small poplar trees about 15' off the ground. Back then it was always kinda cold the first week of November or seemed that way because we didn't have good clothes back then. Camo for kids didn't exist but I had some because my mom made me a set out of Camo material we purchased at a fabric store. Well that morning the kid and his dad shot around 7:30. I just knew he killed the buck that was making all the sign that was in there. About 8:30 I was about froze, my Dad was on the ground about 50 yards behind me in a tree top wrapped up in an old wool army blanket. I know he was watching me shiver and shake. He motioned for me to stay alittle longer. Then I heard a deer runnning and the 10pt came by chasing a doe and stopped down in the hollow below me about 50 yds. The ole 30/30 with a hollow point done the trick on him. We got back to camp and (Jimmy)the other kid got a nice 7pt. Hunting was a lot different back in those days. View attachment 211749
Good story and great picture of you and your dad. I guess that was your buddies buck on the jeep. Good memories.

Rackseeker

Good story and great picture of you and your dad. I guess that was your buddies buck on the jeep. Good memories.
Yep, that was their Willys, we had a 1976 CJ5 with Buckshot mudders. LOL.......... It was a good 1.5 hour drive back in the mountains where we hunt in those old jeeps back then, thats why we camped alot. Good ole days.

fairchaser

My most memorable hunt was a nightmare! It changed me so much, I didn't hunt for over 10 years.

My step dad didn't hunt but my brother did and he took me once on public land during archery season. I saw a doe and was hooked! Unfortunately, he joined the marines and went off to boot camp. I was 16 and wanted to hunt. So I recruited his friend who had gotten out of the marines after a stent. I figured he was woods savvy. That was my mistake.

Together we took off to hunt on public land in my step dads pickup that was two wheel drive. Before daylight we crept down these winding dirt rutted out trails to get to our spot. This was before the weather channel, internet or cell phones and as soon as we parked, the bottom fell out. It rained solid for several hours and then turned cold. Wearing nothing but cotton, I was wet and freezing. I didn't know what hypothermia was but was sure I was well on my way. No food, no map, no sense and certainly no help from my 21 year old marine vet, we were lost and hopelessly stuck with no way to get out of the woods.

Fortunately for us we found another group of hunters willing to help us. They tried to pull us out to no avail. Then they offered to take us back to Memphis but they wanted to hunt till dark. So we stayed and after walking for what seemed like hours, we almost got left behind but got a ride home. For 53 miles I sat in the bed of a pickup, with wet cotton clothes in 40 degrees. Hungry, wet and exhausted. But that's not the end of this story. We went back the next day to retrieve my dads pickup truck!

We found a farmer willing to take his tractor down these muddy trails and pull out a couple of knuckleheads who had no business driving back that far.

That day I vowed to never deer hunt again! Thankfully that changed but I needed to grow up first.

huvrman

The Story of the "Hole In The Butt" Buck. Growing up the 70s and early 80s, we didn't have many deer in Mississippi. My father liked hunting but really wasn't into it enough to teach me much. He preferred duck and goose hunting. So, it was pretty much up to my brother and me to teach ourselves. He was 6 years older than me, so kind of served as the incentive for me to go. We started out running rabbits with dogs, then got into still hunting deer. Anyway, I hunted for 6 years (just trying to figure it out myself) until I actually saw a deer to shoot. (Missed at 20 yards on an 8 pt being run by someone's dogs that just happened to come by me while still hunting.) Anyway, the next year my brother and I (I was 18 at the time, I think) decided to hunt the high ridges above a farm that was part of our "club." We spent an hour walking in, with him sitting down on one side of a ridge in thick cutover/thickets, and me going over the ridge and sitting in a hollow that led to a lake. I just happened to find a trail and figured I'd watch it. Really didn't know what I was doing other than thinking the trail looked to run in the general direction of a huge thicket on the side of the lake. Since it was afternoon, I thought I might catch one heading from the thicket to the open woods before dark to feed. So, I found a tree to sit under where I could see the end of the lake to my right and monitor the trail to my left. Factors such as wind, concealment, rut stages, etc were no where in my thinking at that point. Anyway, I sat, watching squirrels and at some point just quit paying attention to the noise they made because there was so much. As the afternoon woods began to darken, I remember looking to my left expecting to see squirrels playing, and instead saw a deer walking that trail about 40 yards out. He was highlighted against the top of the ridge and eventually stopped. I could tell he had horns, but that was all. I took a shot with my trusty Remington 742 WoodsMaster in 30-06, and off it ran. It ran downhill beside me at about 20 yards heading down to the hollow. I took 3 more quick shots and it just kept running. Finally, when it got to the bottom of the hollow it stopped, facing away. It then began walking. It looked to be about 70 - 80 yards out. All I could see was the white of its butt. Now, normally, the clip of a 742 holds 4 shells, but if you were a motivated (and super enthusiastic) hunter such as myself, once you racked a round in the chamber, you added another to the clip. So, I had 5 shots available, and I had just let 4 fly. I had one round left and needed to make it count. Off it went, headed towards the only thing I could see, a solid white patch with a little brown strip in the middle. And down he went. Woo hoo! My first buck! So, I went down and checked him out. A nice 3 pt, which back in those days, was a trophy in those parts. Anyway, my brother, who had heard me shoot 5 times, figured I was reenacting the gunfight at the OK corral. When I climbed over the ridge to holler for him, he was shocked I'd actually got one, then was not very excited about having to come over that ridge and help me drag that deer 3/4 of a mile back to the truck. But we did and his mood changed as we got closer to the truck (funny how that happens.) When we got home I immediately went in and told my Mom and Dad I had killed a deer. Neither one believed me, and had to be forced out the door to go see it. Then the celebration began. And the work. Handgrinding deer meat back then was a chore. Almost so much it made you rethink if you ever wanted to hunt again. So, that's the story of my most memorable hunt. The pic is below. And if you look closely, you can see the bullet hole in my trophy's butt. It was the only shot that connected with that deer.

Attachments

• First Deer.jpg
    First Deer.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 9

Wooden Arrow

first deer with a recurve, no doubt! hunting at a place i had never been. seeing nothing, and here comes a feral cat down the deer trail. it spots me sitting on my bucket and freezes, and i'm watching it since there was NOTHING else moving. it turned to leave, and as it does i see motion out of the corner of my eye. it was a nice buck, turning his head watching the cat leave. with him distracted, i managed to pick up my bow & hit him with a double-lung shot as he walked past at under 5 yards. he ran out into the hay field, looked back in my direction, and folded while i was watching him.

Kevin Snook

My most memorable day was one where I didn't shoot.. I watched 11 different buck's after 2does all day.. There was one really big buck that I almost shot until he turned his head and realized his left main beam was broken off-one of the biggest deer I've ever seen. That day I heard every sound a deer could make I think..
Was a cold rainy day but the greatest experience I ever had..

JeepKuntry

Probably watching my daughter get her first deer. I have some fond memories but that doe pretty much tops all the bucks I have killed. Nothing like seeing her joy. Sure wish she'd stuck with it. But pre teens and teenagers drift.

Smo

Sticking the big blade of a 3 blade Uncle Henry pocket knife in my thigh about 3 inches above my right knee & about an inch deep…

I thought I was going bleed out before I got the deer, back pack, tree stand… ( we talking Baker!)
Muzzleloader & myself the 1/2 mile back too the truck..🥴

Latest posts