Memorable hunt!

deerfever

Yesterday evening after work I ran up to the local public where the birds are tough but that's what I love about the place. I have hunted the place since the 80's . I went to spot #1 and of course absolutely nothing. I had a couple more places on my mind to go check but decided to go to a spot that I killed my first turkey ever way back in the day. I knew there was a gobbler around as I had rubbed his tracks out of a mud hole earlier in the season. I eased in to the corner of an old field and cut on my slate. He hammered way off, I eased towards the way he had gobbled , stopped hit him again and he gobbles closer but to my left. I realize he is on the way and I can't get over the rise. You guessed it, 45 minutes of him gobbling coming to the edge of the rise going back. Finally as he goes back I crawl forward to a tree about 15 yards so I can see over the rise but I still can't see him. I call again and out of nowhere another bird hammers and is coming from the other direction! I can't see either!!! They get in the worst sounding fight and go up the ridge. I ease up on the ridge sit down, wait a few minutes and start pouring it on. Both birds go absolutely nuts! I get ready and decide to make one more call, one of them absolutely blows my hat off. Thank goodness I made the call because my gun was in the wrong direction. I reposition just in time to see the top of a fan, then another. I let one get in the clear at 25 yards and my season is over. I couldn't think of a better place to fill my tag , took me back to the 80's. I absolutely love turkey hunting! Time to finish out calling for my son and another young man. Been blessed this year in other states and here in TN but this was my favorite hunt of all!

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_203919121~2.jpg
    IMG_20240430_203919121~2.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Plateau Hunter

Yesterday evening after work I ran up to the local public where the birds are tough but that's what I love about the place. I have hunted the place since the 80's . I went to spot #1 and of course absolutely nothing. I had a couple more places on my mind to go check but decided to go to a spot that I killed my first turkey ever way back in the day. I knew there was a gobbler around as I had rubbed his tracks out of a mud hole earlier in the season. I eased in to the corner of an old field and cut on my slate. He hammered way off, I eased towards the way he had gobbled , stopped hit him again and he gobbles closer but to my left. I realize he is on the way and I can't get over the rise. You guessed it, 45 minutes of him gobbling coming to the edge of the rise going back. Finally as he goes back I crawl forward to a tree about 15 yards so I can see over the rise but I still can't see him. I call again and out of nowhere another bird hammers and is coming from the other direction! I can't see either!!! They get in the worst sounding fight and go up the ridge. I ease up on the ridge sit down, wait a few minutes and start pouring it on. Both birds go absolutely nuts! I get ready and decide to make one more call, one of them absolutely blows my hat off. Thank goodness I made the call because my gun was in the wrong direction. I reposition just in time to see the top of a fan, then another. I let one get in the clear at 25 yards and my season is over. I couldn't think of a better place to fill my tag , took me back to the 80's. I absolutely love turkey hunting! Time to.fimish out calling for my son and another young man. Been blessed this year in other states and here in TN but this was my favorite hunt of all!
Congratulations, awesome hunt…yeah I like it when they get so close they blow your hat off…damn thrilling!

Kevin Snook

Yesterday evening after work I ran up to the local public where the birds are tough but that's what I love about the place. I have hunted the place since the 80's . I went to spot #1 and of course absolutely nothing. I had a couple more places on my mind to go check but decided to go to a spot that I killed my first turkey ever way back in the day. I knew there was a gobbler around as I had rubbed his tracks out of a mud hole earlier in the season. I eased in to the corner of an old field and cut on my slate. He hammered way off, I eased towards the way he had gobbled , stopped hit him again and he gobbles closer but to my left. I realize he is on the way and I can't get over the rise. You guessed it, 45 minutes of him gobbling coming to the edge of the rise going back. Finally as he goes back I crawl forward to a tree about 15 yards so I can see over the rise but I still can't see him. I call again and out of nowhere another bird hammers and is coming from the other direction! I can't see either!!! They get in the worst sounding fight and go up the ridge. I ease up on the ridge sit down, wait a few minutes and start pouring it on. Both birds go absolutely nuts! I get ready and decide to make one more call, one of them absolutely blows my hat off. Thank goodness I made the call because my gun was in the wrong direction. I reposition just in time to see the top of a fan, then another. I let one get in the clear at 25 yards and my season is over. I couldn't think of a better place to fill my tag , took me back to the 80's. I absolutely love turkey hunting! Time to.fimish out calling for my son and another young man. Been blessed this year in other states and here in TN but this was my favorite hunt of all!
Congratulations!! Great story!

Latest posts