Marlin 45-70 vs Browning BLR 308

1 good shot

You'd be crazy to trade the Browning; if you absolutely don't care for it, sell it, and use the money to buy what really would be a luxury for you.
I've owned all three. Unless its just for the novelty of it, I would just keep the browning. The ammo for the 444 and 45/70 are just going to get harder to find. As each new caliber comes out, the manufacturers will tool up for them and pretty soon just the smaller outfits are going to be the only ones producing the ammo. That means extremely limited availability. As it is,
what is available, is already getting really expensive

Snowwolfe

I've owned all three. Unless its just for the novelty of it, I would just keep the browning. The ammo for the 444 and 45/70 are just going to get harder to find. As each new caliber comes out, the manufacturers will tool up for them and pretty soon just the smaller outfits are going to be the only ones producing the ammo. That means extremely limited availability. As it is,
what is available, is already getting really expensive
The 45-70 is more popular now than it was over 100 years ago.

Snowwolfe

I owned two BLR's. Nice enough rifles. But they all need to be sent to a qualified gunsmith for a first class trigger job. Only a few have the skills to do it. Expect to spend about $250-$300 for the work and shipping both ways.

mayberryrick

I owned two BLR's. Nice enough rifles. But they all need to be sent to a qualified gunsmith for a first class trigger job. Only a few have the skills to do it. Expect to spend about $250-$300 for the work and shipping both ways.

I had never shot the one that I had but I read that somewhere else also.

mayberryrick

A little eye candy fellas and a picture for comparison. From left to right is a .243, 300 Savage, and then the big boy 45-70…
IMG_3496.jpeg
IMG_3508.jpeg