Long tail jon boat???

Shanman

This is for you guys that have run or are presently running a long tail, want to hear from those with experience.
Thinking about putting one together to use mainly for having fun and running rivers, will also use it for trapping and some fishing. No doubt will have some long runs on lakes to reach certain drainages and that means rough water at some point. Here on the eastern side of the state rocks and logs will be the norm, not so much mud. Been looking at flat bottoms online and it is very discouraging, mostly junk or they are extremely expensive. Had a 1436 back in the 90's and swore I'd never have another narrow boat again. I'm leaning towards a 1444 - 1648, something in that range. What size Jon have you guys found a long tail to work well with? Also, what height transom works best?

Redfox

There's really nothing fun about a long tail. It's about like being in a bar fight with your hands tied. They do their job in mud/stumps/logs but rocks will eat the prop up in short order. I wouldn't want to make any rough water voyages if I could avoid it.

If you're talking shallow/rocky/swift rivers I would recommend a jet long before the mud motor. With long tails you gotta really work at trying to making sharp turns.

I have only used them on short transom boats but idk if it really matters. I currently have a 20hp on a very light 1648 and it's a slug with any kind of load.

Shanman

I realize a jet is the way to go around here but there are two reasons I wasn't considering a jet, cost being the main reason. The other is I don't want to have to be on plane all the time in the skinny stuff. Will want to ease along when looking for critter sign while trapping. A jet would be super nice to have though. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. 👍

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'd get a small tiller outboard before I messed with a long tail.

Any mud motor, surface drive or long tail, is also stupid loud. No pleasure going to be had in fishing.

MickThompson

Jet or prop and walk your boat over the shoals in rocky or gravelly rivers. Jets are kinda slow but mud rigs are really heavy and slow. I've seen long tails on the duck river (gravel bottomed) and they couldn't get back over shoals. As soon as the prop hit, the motor kicked up as designed, lost bite, and they came off almost being in plane.

You can probably idle with a jet shallower than a mud motor. You also have to swing that big heavy motor all over to turn with a long tail.

megalomaniac

Don't do this!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240129_152245_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240129_152245_Facebook.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 8

Shanman

Jet or prop and walk your boat over the shoals in rocky or gravelly rivers. Jets are kinda slow but mud rigs are really heavy and slow. I've seen long tails on the duck river (gravel bottomed) and they couldn't get back over shoals. As soon as the prop hit, the motor kicked up as designed, lost bite, and they came off almost being in plane.

You can probably idle with a jet shallower than a mud motor. You also have to swing that big heavy motor all over to turn with a long tail.
Mick….i truly appreciate you taking the time to chime in and educate me on the subject as I'm ignorant of all the facts.. 👍
……but you're probably going to be in the same camp as my wife, saying……."Big knot head". 🙄😂

redblood

im about to buy a jet prop outboard for running rural stretches of the duck. I have a jon boat, just need the motor. definitely will be a small 4 stroke- 25 hp probably. not there for speed or play. just need to be able to run up stream a few miles and then fish/float back down. river access is very limited on the duck and vast segments are nearly impossible to reach

Grnwing

I ran a 23hp longtail on a 1648 tracker in East TN and it ll work but wouldnt be my choice. It worked well in S Florida but sand and rocks will eat up a prop pretty quick, plus it requires some effort to drive a long tail. I liked the 1648 hull but add some pods and a small tiller(15-20hp) and you can plane pretty quick and manuever skinny water w alot more control. Ultimately the jet drive would be the best for running the shallow rivers but the pods and small tiller will give you some flexibility and works well for me.

Latest posts