1444 Polar Kraft jon boat build

Bwales95

It took me about 10 months, but its finished and floating good! Urban_Hunter hooked me up with the boat which had been in his family for decades. We hunted public land on it the past two years. I wanted something that my daughters could comfortably fish from, and I went way too far down the jon boat wormhole on youtube.
I stripped and sanded 80% of it (by far the worst part), and added two coats of gluvit to all rivets inside and out. Two coats of alumahawk tan and redleg stencils for the paint work. Floor/deck supports are framed in square aluminum tubing thats used for screened in porches (credit again to Urban_Hunter for the metal) with stainless rivets. 3/8 wood floors and 1/2 wood deck with two coats of spar urethane and carpeted. All stainless screws with painted heads to match the carpet. Two 12v batteries wired through a fuse block and switch panel for a few interior led's, nav lights, and bilge. All marine grade wire in rubber hoses as conduit (heat shrink connections). New fuel tank and line for the trusty 15hp evinrude electric start motor. Painted and re-wired the trailer with new lights. Bimini top for the fam. I've only had it out once and it performed great.
Building the thing really made for a great year. It gave me something to research at night, and having a glass of bourbon in the garage for an hour or two after dinner was a nice way to end a busy day. Unfortunately, I've started watching pontoon boat rebuilds on youtube now, so that may be the next project.

Attachments

• IMG_7551.jpeg
    IMG_7551.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6885.jpeg
    IMG_6885.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6884.jpeg
    IMG_6884.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 18

Urban_Hunter

That boat has seen some things! I wish I had pictures from 30 years ago my grandfather and I running trot lines on the tn river in that mug. Best camp story ever was me and big cousin pulling up to the camp and the boat wasn't on the trailer. Came off the trailer at the bottom of the driveway 😂

IMG_7558.png
IMG_7559.png

Bwales95

The stencil is the "hex" pattern from redleg camo, and it is rattle canned- rustoleum army green and charcoal grey over the base alumahawk tan. The alumahawk was rolled on and it turned out a lot better than i expected

Last edited:

Latest posts