In the market for a turkey gun

woodsman04

Roost 1":en99xzx3 said:
Nothing wrong with 870 I have 3 BUT nothing patterns like a 835.
Best turkey gun for the money.
Good luck and I'm sure you will like the 870 although the older special purpose won't be any lighter than the 835 tactical.
I own both so I know.

Yes, Moss bergs are just made for turkey. Just too dang heavy and rattle teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsman04

835 or 870.

Get an 870 that just uses 3" shells. That's all you need. Use the Remington super full turkey choke. It's tried and true

woodsman04

Also an 870 would be more reliable, in my opinion, than an 835. Also probably better to use for ducks and on a dove field.

I'm telling you the old 870 is the best all around shotgun ever made, especially for the money.

catman529

woodsman04":cnjdcz0z said:
Also an 870 would be more reliable, in my opinion, than an 835. Also probably better to use for ducks and on a dove field.

I'm telling you the old 870 is the best all around shotgun ever made, especially for the money.

an old walnut stock 870 is on my list. I think I'll end up with a dedicated turkey gun and a plain 870 for an all round shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TennSportsman

Another vote for the 835. I've had the regular with 20" barrel and now the tactical version. Both did/do the job and pattern well. Recoil should only be an issue when sighting it in IMO. As you're already aware, you won't feel much when pulling on a turkey. You can find a good used one for $300-350.

ImThere

Get a good dedicated turkey Gun, dedicated duck Gun and a dedicated dove gun and you'll be ready!
835 for turkey
Old 1100 for dove
What ever you like for duck SBE?

TennSportsman

ImThere":1p9y058t said:
Get a good dedicated turkey Gun, dedicated duck Gun and a dedicated dive gun and you'll be ready!
835 for turkey
Old 1100 for dove

I like your style! :super:

fairchaser

Hard to beat a camo 835 with a red dot, turkey choke and a tuned up trigger for long beards. Mine is ported which helps some with the thundering recoil. I've never noticed the kick on a turkey.

ImThere

TennSportsman":2ad4ru8n said:
ImThere":2ad4ru8n said:
Get a good dedicated turkey Gun, dedicated duck Gun and a dedicated dive gun and you'll be ready!
835 for turkey
Old 1100 for dove

I like your style! :super:
Hehehe thanks, yeah it's easy to spend other people's money! Lol

knightrider

I know im in the minority but id rather have a good 24 in barrel mossy 500 with a good 660 choke than ten sorry rem 870"s I just don't care for Remington shotguns. my main turkey thumpers are all Mossberg 930"s I love them

Andy S.

knightrider":33ccdujx said:
I know im in the minority but id rather have a good 24 in barrel mossy 500 .......
Brave soul you are, that gun is KING for light primer strikes, misfires and firing pin issues. Would not even be a consideration of mine for a dedicated turkey gun if it were made by Rolls Royce.

PalsPal

I used a 500 for years early on, and killed several birds with it.

But I did have some issues later on. After a miss one day after a long battle, I was so mad I went straight to Walmart and bought an 870. I sold the Mossberg and never looked back.

knightrider

Andy S.":3pt78odh said:
knightrider":3pt78odh said:
I know im in the minority but id rather have a good 24 in barrel mossy 500 .......
Brave soul you are, that gun is KING for light primer strikes, misfires and firing pin issues. Would not even be a consideration of mine for a dedicated turkey gun if it were made by Rolls Royce.
Never have had one issue with any Mossberg I've owned, now Remington and Winchester is another story

deerfever

I have never had one issue with that 835 except the kick with a 3.5 but like others have said you do not feel a thing with a gobbler in front of you!

swayback

The 535 isn't a bad gun it's like $350 and comes with a turkey barrel and a 28 inch barrel for squirrel and such . Kicks like a mule but like others have said you will not feel a thing.

Latest posts