In the market for a turkey gun

REN

DO NOT get a nova. I am a HUGE benelli guy but that gun is a POS. I personally wouldnt own an 835 if you gave me one, just way to heavy and way to much recoil and I think they also are POS (although they pattern turkey loads great).

870 for sure OR find a used Stoeger M3500 or M3000 and enjoy the simple world of an autoloader.

Roost 1

Nothing wrong with 870 I have 3 BUT nothing patterns like a 835.
Best turkey gun for the money.
Good luck and I'm sure you will like the 870 although the older special purpose won't be any lighter than the 835 tactical.
I own both so I know.

deerfever

Just walked in the door! Gun has a 24 inch barrel and is drilled and tapped. muddy is correct they will kick if you shoot the 3.5! I did and wouldn't advise it but that is what I shot!I was not intending to sale you the gun at all for 400. I was going to make you a deal it is a used gun but has been taken care of. It will pattern with the best of them ! Just pm if interested and I will send you pictures.. I have 6 choke tubes that will go with it. Original mossberg accumag modified and two mossberg extra full Turkey chokes one is flush ,the other is extended. Two HS Strut Ported tubes designed for high density loads. I also have a star dot ported choke tube. I have probably killed at least 40 birds with this one but once I went 20 it has set in the cabinet!

catman529

REN":3adpf21l said:
DO NOT get a nova. I am a HUGE benelli guy but that gun is a POS. I personally wouldnt own an 835 if you gave me one, just way to heavy and way to much recoil and I think they also are POS (although they pattern turkey loads great).

870 for sure OR find a used Stoeger M3500 or M3000 and enjoy the simple world of an autoloader.
the 835 is a lot lighter than the Chinese POS I've been shooting. Only concern with that gun is the recoil. I almost bought one at Walmart but it had a broken iron sight and they wouldn't discount it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

Roost 1":2g97hvxl said:
Nothing wrong with 870 I have 3 BUT nothing patterns like a 835.
Best turkey gun for the money.
Good luck and I'm sure you will like the 870 although the older special purpose won't be any lighter than the 835 tactical.
I own both so I know.
I don't need a perfect pattern, as bad a shot as I am I would rather have a little more open pattern than most people. Not trying to kill one at 50 yards I just want to kill one at this point.

deerfever

Ren ,you are correct on that Tri star I have the 20 gauge with camo stock and forearm. They are not drilled and tapped but are great guns mine is a youth model and I killed one with it last Saturday. Walmart is the only one that carries the model like I have according to Tri star. The 12 gauge in that model is $298 at Walmart.

@fulldraw

muddyboots":13f6udgz said:
Roost 1":13f6udgz said:
835 get the tactical turkey model with 20" Barrel

Shew. I have shot one of those. Awesome for carrying around. But lord. Like getting kicked by a mule when u pull the trigger.

I love mine! Recoil isn't that bad. Don't even feel it when shooting at a turkey. Killed two this week. :)

REN

if you are really wanting to use it as an all around gun for fun shooting or just other types of hunting then I PERSONALLY Hate 835s and really pumps in general these days. Nothing at all wrong with a pump but its amazing how much more fun and enjoyable shooting an auto loader is. I would really consider one of those in a tristar or something, its one you can keep for a very long time and those and stoegers have excellent warrentys and are good companies in general.

again just my personal opinion.

Gravey

I had a Mossberg 835 and it's a deadly turkey killer. The issue I had was the forearm was too long for my reach. I sold it to my brother-in-law and bought the 870 super mag with shurshot stock and love it. It is set up as a dedicated turkey gun. That said if I ever made another change I'd go to an autoloader.

Coker

catman529":2ug84c56 said:
ImThere":2ug84c56 said:
Go look at some and pick one. Shouldn't be hard at $400

I like the tried and true 835 mossberg, 870 Remington. Those 2 in my mind have the most upgradable platforms and great deals can be found. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went to 3 stores and didn't find one I liked. Almost bought an 835 Ultimag from Walmart till they realized the rear sight was broken. They wouldn't give me a discount, said they'd send it back and get reimbursed.

I have an older Mossberg 835 I will sell you cheap. Yes, it is tapped. Comes with all chokes and a turkey choke. Let me know if you are interested

Gravey

Coker":17rky05n said:
catman529":17rky05n said:
ImThere":17rky05n said:
Go look at some and pick one. Shouldn't be hard at $400

I like the tried and true 835 mossberg, 870 Remington. Those 2 in my mind have the most upgradable platforms and great deals can be found. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went to 3 stores and didn't find one I liked. Almost bought an 835 Ultimag from Walmart till they realized the rear sight was broken. They wouldn't give me a discount, said they'd send it back and get reimbursed.

I have an older Mossberg 835 I will sell you cheap. Yes, it is tapped. Comes with all chokes and a turkey choke. Let me know if you are interested
If y'all work a deal I can transport to Franklin for you.