Got my first velvet buck and biggest bow buck

TheLBLman

Proud for you, JC. That's a beautiful buck! Congratulations.

JCDEERMAN":9tf3sg6g said:
73259F4B-EC74-47F0-A51C-A877CB9C7F3B_zpsuqjiuxtd.png

JCDEERMAN

I did, Andy. A small disclaimer here LOL - we had our daughters 2nd birthday party at our house. The wife was worried about my mounts scaring the kiddos. I told her they weren't coming down, so she made bows and hung them all around the room.

As far as the mount is concerned, you know, I really wasn't sure about it at first. My main concern was preserving the velvet, however the biggest concern ended up being the hide. He practically had NO hair, as he was in transition of coats. My taxidermist is a friend of mine. He called me every day saying he hated the mount. The neck is smaller, of course, but I told him to make sure it was a "smaller summer neck". I'm pleased with it, however the he told me he'd like to re-do it. So I do have that option if I so choose in the future. He literally had no hair, just a few strands of red

Buzzard Breath

Awesome mount. Pink bows and all!!!

I'd keep the cape that's on it. It's a summer deer. That's the way it looks. Same with the small neck.

Congrats on a great buck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Thanks for the explanation. It helps when you first look at the pictures. You don't think about neck size when you shoot a summer buck but that's what you get isn't it? Glad you kept it authentic but now you will have to explain to everyone that looks at it why it has no hair and why it's so skinny. It does make it a conversation pice though. Congrats on a fine velvet buck.

Now can you please explain why your elk is wearing a necklace. Does it have anything to do with the pink bows?

JCDEERMAN

fairchaser":1q9q5zpm said:
Now can you please explain why your elk is wearing a necklace. Does it have anything to do with the pink bows?

HA!

I killed the elk with a bow and tied the end of the broken arrow and broadhead around him. I typically tie the broadhead that killed the animal around the neck for archery kills....just hadn't yet for this deer

Latest posts