Got my first velvet buck and biggest bow buck

JCDEERMAN

Thanks guys.

It happened so quick that the story isn't very long. I scheduled my work from home day on Friday so I could have everything packed and head to our place as soon as I quit working. Got to our cabin, showered and got set up in my stand and settled at 5:40. I really didn't sweat as bad as I thought I would. Friday wasn't too bad and there was a 5-10 mph steady breeze straight out of the ESE. This was perfect for this stand. I was on the edge of our biggest field, which is about 4.5 acres. Right behind me is a steep cut that goes right down to the bottom of a big hollow. With an E to SE wind, it shoots straight down that cut. Over the years, ive seen deer come almost right downwind of me into this field but never smell me. The deer typically come out at this end of the field. So this particular set up is almost perfect for the deer entering the field, and almost wrong for me. But it seems to work. I had only been sitting there 20 minutes - at 6:00 a pretty descent 8pt stepped out to my right about 50 yards. I was debating whether or not to grab my bow. A few seconds later, this guy stepped out and I went straight for the bow LOL. He literally jogged to no more than 20 yards from me broadside. I drew back and shot - had a perfect pass through. He ran off as if he wasn't spooked too bad. A few minutes later, two more 8pts came out, a 1/2 rack, a 4pt and a doe. I sat there for about an hour hoping they would leave. I didn't want to bugger it up in hopes for my cousin to sit there the next evening. They eventually left, I got down and went to where he was standing. Arrow was covered. I knew where he went in the woods but I always blood track just to try and keep tuned up on that skill. I made it to the woods and he had only made it 15 yards in there. I had texted my dad and buddies with us and my dad came to meet me at the field entrance. We sat there and took pics as the sun was setting and it was a very memorable moment with my father.

I feel truly blessed. Thanks, again guys! Glad others had success as well!

tree_ghost

JCDEERMAN":32gqjc9d said:
Over the years, ive seen deer come almost right downwind of me into this field but never smell me. The deer typically come out at this end of the field. So this particular set up is almost perfect for the deer entering the field, and almost wrong for me. But it seems to work.

We sat there and took pics as the sun was setting and it was a very memorable moment with my father.

The two most important pieces of information contained about hunting in this post IMO! Congrats again and thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts