Got it done in CO 2019

swd

Still putting in for my AZ tag every year. Congrats on a great bull.

Tell us the story!!!

Buzzard Breath

That's a great elk!!! Looks to be a 6x6 with a broken brow tine. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'd love to here about the shot angle, broadhead, pass through shot, did it just stand there and bleed out. A 30 yard recovery on an elk is awesome. I'm not wanting to be judgmental, just curious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr. Hawk

Alrighty guys, sorry for the delay. Between travel, work and a 16 month old baby I haven't had time to sit down and tell the story so here it is. Thanks for all the congrats posts, I really appreciate it.

I am fortunate to have my step dad (66) to hunt with who is an avid Elk nut and owns some property in CO and has been hunting the area for 15 years. The property borders some BLM so we hunt both his land and BLM, my bull was killed on BLM. I have been hunting the area for the last 8 years and this is my 4th (and largest) bull kill with my bow. I arrived on 09/20 morning and began hunting that evening. That afternoon I set up just below a known bedding area and had a small spike come out around 5:00 at 40yds but he spotted me before I saw him (amazing how quiet they are for 700+ lbs, especially if windy) he barked and I figured that would be all I would see for the evening but then a young 5x5 came out from the same spot 45 minutes later and started heading up the hill and raking trees. I hit my cow call a couple times and he came in and circled me to 10yrds. I knew he was too small for the first day so I just picked up my phone and got some great video footage.

The next couple of days we had elk either in site or could hear bugles on every hunt but couldn't get a shot opportunity due to bad wind, terrain, etc. On the afternoon hunt the night before I killed my bull we got into 3 bulls going nuts bugling at our calls, fighting, etc.It was incredible, we had them at 80yds or so but they wouldn't commit and we had a bad wind, we eventually got busted by a cow and decided to back out to hopefully not run them out of the country. We headed back to the cabin with about 30 minutes left of daylight so we could glass on the way back, we spotted a large herd up on top of a ridge on BLM feeding with a few good bulls. We devised a plan to go after them early the following morning which required about a 45 minute 1 mile hike with about 1000ft of elevation change (per the health app on my iPhone, awesome app for racking this stuff) We hiked up 3/4 of the way as it was starting to get light we hadn't heard anything and thought maybe they had moved out overnight but then we heard one bugle then another and another. We could then see a nice bull up the hill to our right by himself with the rest of the heard to our left up the hill. We had a great wind back into our faces which was key. We snuck up and got within 35 yds of the cows and the herd bull which was bugling constantly at this point but he was behind some oak scrub brush and couldn't see him. All the while the bull I ended up killing is pacing the ridge the right probably 2-300yds away and we can see him pacing and hear him bugling. I assume he was trying to steal some cows but he wouldn't come too close to the herd, probably had his butt kicked by the herd bull at some point.

As we were facing up the hill, the cows were feeding off to our left and we let them move out and then we slipped up to where they had been feeding and set up in an aspen grove. With my stepdad 10 feet or so behind me we could see the bull to our right making his way back to the herd. He made a couple of calls and the bull headed right for us. After ranging the tree I felt he would come behind at 35yds, I set my single pin to 40yds and drew back. I had to hold my draw what seemed like forever and once I layed eyes him at probably 55yds coming from my right to left I got the jimmy leg shakes due to all the adrenaline. I have been shooting everyday since The first of August but you can't prepare for the adrenaline (or altitude 9200 ft) but fortunately I was able to calm myself down. I was confident as he was walking into range. At full draw I had to wait until he cleared some brush and then he stopped perfect broadside and I let it fly. The arrow placement was perfect even though I don't remember releasing it and was a complete pass thru (my first on an elk). He trotted up the hill to our left like he didn't know what had happened and my step dad stopped him with a cow call and he just stood there and looked at us. I took out another arrow and shot again, this time back and high as I was shaking like a leaf at this point but it didn't matter, the first shot killed him and he stood there for a second or two and flopped over 60yds away. After a hug and high five we had the bull My bull.

If you ever get the chance to chase elk with a bow during the rut it's an unbelievable experience and I highly recommend it. If your physically able it's the only way to hunt them IMO. Thanks again for all the posts.

gtk

Staff member
Mr. Hawk":3c30soag said:
If you ever get the chance to chase elk with your bow during the rut it's an unbelievable experience and I highly recommend it. Happy to answer any questions as well. Thanks again for all the replys.
Thanks for sharing the story. Get's me excited for my upcoming hunt.

your right about chasing elk. these mountains will get in your blood. i've all but given up deer hunting, and even moved out here to CO for a few years to enjoy it more

Crosshairy

That's great, man! I always think that one good encounter with my intended quarry on a hunt is counted as "successful", even if I don't end up killing anything. What you had was a good smattering of encounters, up close and personal. With the bugling on top of that, I bet you were jacked up!!

Thanks for taking the time to put it down in writing for the rest of us suckers stuck at the grind. If I can't go, I at least want to hear about the folks that are doing it!

Latest posts