Gas?

TRIGGER

I just put a new Yamaha sho 225 on my boat. The book says to run 89 octane non ethanol gas in it. The problem is most stations near me only have 87 non ethanol. Is it better to run 89 ethanol or 87 non ethanol if I have to choose? I am going to flash the Ecu to 300 HP soon if that makes a difference.

BigCityBubba

I don't have an answer to your question but if you fish Ky Lake near Paris Landing, Kirks Mkt on 79 used to have mid grade ethanol free. I have not check in a few years.

Tenntrapper

Do outboards have emission components like cars?
You can get 100LL (low lead) avgas at the airport...it's running about 6.65 gal. Should be able to blend a few gallons into your 87 to bring the octane up to 89. Just a thought 🤔

FLTENNHUNTER1

I just put a new Yamaha sho 225 on my boat. The book says to run 89 octane non ethanol gas in it. The problem is most stations near me only have 87 non ethanol. Is it better to run 89 ethanol or 87 non ethanol if I have to choose? I am going to flash the Ecu to 300 HP soon if that makes a difference.
As others have stated, non ethanol only. Where do you go to find out if a motor ECU can be flashed? Wondering if my 2021 SHO 150 can be…not sure how it would make a difference it already runs at 6000 ROM WOT. I'd have to change the prop I guess??

Spurhunter

As others have stated, non ethanol only. Where do you go to find out if a motor ECU can be flashed? Wondering if my 2021 SHO 150 can be…not sure how it would make a difference it already runs at 6000 ROM WOT. I'd have to change the prop I guess??
Check Nizpro. They are one of the companies. Hydroteck is the other. The two I know of anyway. From what I understand any SHO is flashable.

WTM

the new engines are designed to run ethanol gas. 87 may make it knock or have a lousy hole shot.

id be more worried about ethanol in an older boat tank and lines than i would be the engine. fishing tournaments toure not going to let a tabk of gas sit for very long.

FLTENNHUNTER1

the new engines are designed to run ethanol gas. 87 may make it knock or have a lousy hole shot.

id be more worried about ethanol in an older boat tank and lines than i would be the engine. fishing tournaments toure not going to let a tabk of gas sit for very long.
Not positive but I believe Yamaha does not recommend ethanol gas.

WTM

Not positive but I believe Yamaha does not recommend ethanol gas.
yeah they "prefer" not require it but id run the 87 non ethanol with octane enhancer. i must have misread i thought he was asking about 89 ethanol.

if he can find a caseys that has non ethanol they used to carry 89 or 91. for whatever reason the jvile store quit selling it and all the indian stores around here sell 87 for the same price as they sold the higher octane.

BuckWild

What gains do you expect to see with 75 more HP?

BuckWild

yeah they "prefer" not require it but id run the 87 non ethanol with octane enhancer. i must have misread i thought he was asking about 89 ethanol.

if he can find a caseys that has non ethanol they used to carry 89 or 91. for whatever reason the jvile store quit selling it and all the indian stores around here sell 87 for the same price as they sold the higher octane.
I bought 87 non ethanol at the store on Main St three days ago and it was $4.75 /gallon