Favorite skinning knife

Hduke86

Old timer Sharp Finger 82FC7C3E-2F41-494A-9597-B4D3C215C1E9.jpeg

I've gutted 14 this season Alone. 19 last season. All skinned, some quartered. Many deboned (other states)
I've used SOOOOOOO many different knives over the years.
I've decided the only way to go for ultralight, razor sharp, gutting without popping stomach is a gut hook.
And skinning is a different knife.

I simply do not have time (or skill) to sharpen knives. I am not a 1-3 deer per season hunter. If I were, I'd use a Gerber with a gut hook and resharpen it.

So for me...it's either Havalon with gut hook and skinning blade OR a Outdoor edge razor lite with the same.

Wolverine72

Havalon was my go to knife for several years. I was very happy with it since I'm not good at sharpening knives. I skin and quarter all of my deer in the woods.
One of the weird COVID blessings was a lot of overtime at my work. I decided on a whim to splurge and buy a benchmade hidden canyon hunting knife. I also purchased a benchmade Pardue hunting knife. The hidden canyon knife has now skinned and quartered I think 7 deer. I've done very little touchup with a ceramic rod and NO sharpening. This thing is almost as sharp as day 1. When I do need it sharpened, I'll send it back to benchmade for factory sharpening for free.
The Pardue knife has skinned and quartered 2 deer and is still extremely sharp as well. I prefer the look of the pardue knife, but prefer the feel and real life use of the hidden canyon knife.
No joke, these are not cheap (about $150), but they are worth every penny.
To skin and quarter 10 deer, I would use no less than 10 Havalon blades (probably more like 15). The benchmade will pay for itself in just a few years.
Spend good money on good arrows, excellent broadheads and a good knife. 3 things that will make a noticeable difference when hunting.

Lost Lake

Buck Alpha for the past few years. It holds an edge very well, and when it needs touching up, a few seconds on an Arkansas Novaculite whetstone, or a strop has it shaving hair again.

I don't do disposable knives. To me, a good knife is much more personal than that, and well worth the time it's takes to learn to sharpen and maintain them.

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Buck 102 or Morakniv Companion.

I find myself using the Morakniv more and more often for two reasons:
-If I lose it I don't cry (the Buck was a gift and gas beautiful cocobolo handles)
-The sheath is easy to return the knife to without looking on the Morakniv, and the buck is a real pain. I would prefer the Buck's sheath if I were carrying it in my belt for a ways, but I usually keep my knife in my backpack until I need it, then clip it on my belt when it's time to work. The Morakniv is perfect for that

TN Larry

I have been using the Outdoor Edge skinning knife for the last several years. It sharpens easily and works pretty good. It's also bright orange so easy to find if you lay it down.