Deer calling

Mr_TTT2

Re: Deer calling

Didn't see success with calling until this year, saw deers come my direction and turn, I called them back in to 20ish yards to get shots. Without caller, they would be gone and not in freezer. In past, never worked, probably not doing it right, but with witnessing them come to caller, will learn how to call.

ktmsmitty

Last year I had 2 buck come charging in at the same time after I hit the esterous bleet can. They came in full speed the moment I tipped the can. Shot the second one. About a 2 year old 8.
This was also on public land.

shirtshirt

This was my first year using a grunt call. Felt like I got one small buck interested with it. Definitely turned the head of a spike that was 100yrds out and got him to pay attention.

The best thing that happened was a yote. I got it to turn around and run in on a string to a doe bleat - from 100 yards to 10.

rmmonty32

Saw a fawn earlier today while still hunting, sat down in a good looking spot near some rubs and did some blind calling. Two fawns came right up to me within 5yds staring me down pretty cool. Never saw what made the rubs though.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Gone Hunting

I've called several bucks in over the years with a grunt even a couple with snort wheeze. All it takes is right buck on the right day in the right mood.

cbhunter

BULL MOOSE":15xhq41u said:
cbhunter":15xhq41u said:
TLRanger":15xhq41u said:
Is it legal to use an electronic call for deer? :?:
yes, it is legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did that change?
unless I'm losing my mind, this was brought up recently and SCN said it was legal. Up until then, I was thinking it wasn't

THEdonkey0515

I've never had much luck calling I still try every now and then.

I did call in a spike from about 300 yards away with a couple short grunts a few years back for fun... he was walking away from me I actually watched him change direction & start up the ridge at me slowly....he would pause every 20-30 yards or so look around. I would hit it short & soft, he would start at me again. I did this untill he was within 50 yards.

I did hit the "can call" last year in muzzy during the rut for the heck of it. I was only gonna set another 20 mins didn't have much to lose.

I hit it 3 times as soon as layed it back down I could hear a deer running down the ridge right at me on a line. Little 4pt came within 40 yards before he slowed to a walk & started looking around for what made the sound.

I've yet to have luck calling in a mature buck, like others have said they probaby more sneaky and aware when it comes to calls.

spinal tap

TX300mag":2ed42rdv said:
Watch downwind side, that's for sure. B

My last two bucks I've killed responded to a grunt.

For sure. I've had success with a few bringing them in and all went wide and downwind. None of them went down as a result, unfortunately.

UTGrad

Almost everytime a deer is going to go downwind of the source of the sound to check it out with it's more powerful sense of smell. Peak rut a crazed buck may skip this step and come right in on a string.

dsa5455

Several years ago I had the electronic call. There were some advantages. It could be hung close to the ground and away from your position. If I recall it would maybe reach 20-30 yards with the remote. You could position it to take advantage of the wind direction maybe giving you a few extra yards of liberty from being scented. Mine had a few different grunt functions including buck, doe and fawn bleats. It also had the snort wheeze and rattling function. It was fun to play with and I wish I could say it worked miracles but honestly it had limited success. I have had more success with the regular mouth call and the Doe in heat can. When it finally quit working I never bought another. Mine had been a gift.

GRIT

Mike Belt":aj4lvove said:
Why would you try to call one in you couldn't see yet?

I use a grunt call when i don't see deer.I have called in a lot that i don't think i would have seen if i didn't call.The reason i call deer i don't see is because you could have a buck just out of sight or even bedded down that would not have got up if you didn't hit your grunt call.

Jcalder

GRIT":3bt9r9g4 said:
Mike Belt":3bt9r9g4 said:

I use a grunt call when i don't see deer.I have called in a lot that i don't think i would have seen if i didn't call.The reason i call deer i don't see is because you could have a buck just out of sight or even bedded down that would not have got up if you didn't hit your grunt call.
I think you missed his point lol. It's dark. You wanna call in a deer you can't legally kill or would you rather wait until you can legally kill it.

GRIT

Jcalder":5sgp0xmf said:
GRIT":5sgp0xmf said:
Mike Belt":5sgp0xmf said:

I think you missed his point lol. It's dark. You wanna call in a deer you can't legally kill or would you rather wait until you can legally kill it.

Sorry missed that part.LOL

Rev3:20

I think it can pay to get one to you early on a saturday before all the boom boom booms start going off. I didnt say 3am.. I just meant a little before shooting light. If we are calling to immitate deer, shouldnt we immitate everything about them? They are communicating to each other in the dark.

If theres 3 other guys in the woods and only one buck id want him at my stand first.

TNTreeman

Calling has its time and place. I've had good luck in early season but late not so much. Bucks aren't as interested in a fight ( rattling) or a grunt after a hard rutting period. It's like yelling " Merry Christmas" at Halloween , they know somethings not rt.

Latest posts