Bucks chasing already

Lone Hunter

Saw one 2 days ago hooking tree branches, licking the limb, then peeing and making a scrape. After that he took off trailing a couple of does licking his lips. First time I have ever seen that because most of the time they already have a hole in them as soon as I see them. I've noticed in the last 2 weeks the bachelor groups have broken up also. Seeing single bucks not groups.

BSK

I have never seen the chasing I'm seeing this year. Constant chasing everywhere. As I stated in another thread, I can't get a video of does feeding calmly. They are constantly being chased.

tree_ghost

I have never seen the chasing I'm seeing this year. Constant chasing everywhere. As I stated in another thread, I can't get a video of does feeding calmly. They are constantly being chased.
My gosh this season is weird! I'm seeing absolutely none of this?!?!!!!

Ski

In my area, it's almost as if Nature is compensating for last year: no acorns, very late rut, no rutting behavior, etc.

That could be. The only spot I've got in TN that has oaks, had as many acorns last year as this year. And I'm seeing the same patterns so perhaps you're on to something.

Grandslam11

Interesting. I'm not seeing that at all. The does are hammering my plots. They are out there for hours at a time in groups of 4+. I have gotten a picture of 1 buck and he was all by himself. I'm sure it'll change soon.

BSK

Not only chasing, but sparring. I remember the first time I got a video of bucks sparring. I was thrilled! I thought I had really captured something special on video. From my last card pull, I have over 50 videos of bucks sparring, and that's in just 9 days.

BSK

Just about every video from a food plot looks just like this. Every age buck too, not just the yearlings:

Attachments

• IMG_0015.MP4
    30.2 MB

BSK

I know the does aren't actually in estrus. In fact, the bucks are just as likely to be chasing fawns as adult does, and this year's fawns are months away from physically being able to be in estrus.

JCDEERMAN

Over the weekend, I switched all my cams over to video from picture. I have pics of what looks like deer chasing, but I can't really verify that. The videos I do have show 2.5 and 3.5 yo bucks eating acorns and hitting scrapes together. Agreed, very late this time of year for them to be hanging out together as much as they are. I have one sequence of sparring, but that's it. I do have several bucks by themselves however. I'm seeing a lot of this….

IMG_7749.png

IMG_7741.png

IMG_7746.png

Latest posts