Boating Safety question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNReb

People born before 1989 are required to have a safety course.

The regulations seem to say a person born before 1989, who hasn't had the course, can be driving a boat as long as another person (born before 89) is in position to take immediate control of the boat.

Is this sort of at the discretion of the game warden? I was born before 89. A guy I fish with was born somewhere in the early 90's. He hasn't had his safety course yet. He knows what he's doing, but that's neither here nor there.

What happens if he's driving the boat, I'm sitting in the passenger seat, and we get checked by the TWRA? (It's a standard bass boat .. console on the right, passenger on the left)

dmitchell28

Re: Boating Safety question

TNReb":2khx803s said:
People born before 1989 are required to have a safety course.

The regulations seem to say a person born before 1989, who hasn't had the course, can be driving a boat as long as another person (born before 89) is in position to take immediate control of the boat.

Is this sort of at the discretion of the game warden? I was born before 89. A guy I fish with was born somewhere in the early 90's. He hasn't had his safety course yet. He knows what he's doing, but that's neither here nor there.

What happens if he's driving the boat, I'm sitting in the passenger seat, and we get checked by the TWRA? (It's a standard bass boat .. console on the right, passenger on the left)

Anyone born after January 1st, 1989 must obtain a boaters safety card to "operate a boat by themselves" As long as you have someone inside the boat that either has a boaters safety card or born before that date, theoretically a 8 year old can drive a boat. Where this comes into play the most is on PWC's. But either way, rather born before or after, I recommend everyone attending a boaters safety class! To obtain a boaters safety card, check online on our website (TWRA) and it has section dedicated to available boaters safety classes available in your area. The class itself is free, but in order to take the test and receive a license, one must buy a type 600 license from your local license dealer or online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts