Anyone use a hunting pistol.

Smo

I don't hunt much with hand guns, but when I do it's with one of these....

Contender 30-30 14" barrel

9-D543-E9-C-F150-41-B5-96-D5-E8-D30-E07-CAE8.jpg

Traditions Trapper .50 cal percussion.

42-ACD48-D-BFD8-404-F-A91-A-823652-F9-AAE5.jpg

Practice targets....

Taurus Tracker .22 cal
E9-A308-A7-9047-4-C8-C-98-F4-9-AE73-BAA9662.jpg

megalomaniac

I got on a pistol kick about 10 years ago and stacked up a bunch of does with a TC Encore pistol in 7mm-08 here in MS. I could shoot 4 inch groups at 200 yards from a rest with it. After the novelty wore off and I got tired of cleaning does, I put it in the safe and haven't touched it since. I never saw a buck big enough to want to shoot while carrying it afield. I also killed a pile of armadillos and other varmits from the stand while deer hunting. It was a very effective pistol, never lost a deer with it.

jejeffrries71

Not really hunted, but have shot one with a S&W.357 mag in a long barrel. I now carry a 10mm with a 6" barrel with me but am not comfortable shooting it at any distance yet. Doesn't look like I'll get a lot better this year as I can not find the ammo I like retail or online anymore.

tnraised

jejeffrries71":1vnb7pce said:
Not really hunted, but have shot one with a S&W.357 mag in a long barrel. I now carry a 10mm with a 6" barrel with me but am not comfortable shooting it at any distance yet. Doesn't look like I'll get a lot better this year as I can not find the ammo I like retail or online anymore.
Not sure, but have you looked at reloading? Supplies can be easier to come by and straight walls are a great starter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

iowavf

I have a 44 Taurus with 8 1/2" barrel, put my old red dot on it earlier this year. My new blind location has the opportunity for 40 to 70 yards shots and decided to get a pistol. I still carry my Encore ML but thought a pistol would be fun at those ranges. It's pretty close but will be shooting several boxes in the near future to dial it in a little better. I can kill at 50 yards now but I think it can be better.

recurve60#

I've killed several pigs with my colt 45 while deer scouting. Its effective. Far as deer hunting, no, i carry real firepower for that. Why have minimal ballistics if the deer of a lifetime steps out?

Derek

I have a Ruger Blackhawk Hunter model that I love. I've never taken my Blackhawk in .45 Colt hunting, but I did load some hot "Ruger only" loads for just the occasion. My plan for this off-season is to settle on sight options for the Ruger Hunter. I've tried open sights and a scope. I want to play with a red-dot or reflex sight.

BSK

My brothers and I got on a Contender kick for a while. All three of us had 14" bull-barrel versions in different calibers. The first deer I ever killed in TN was with a 14" 357 Herrett (30-30 case trimmed down and necked out to 357). Picture below. The round was a bit much for whitetails (it was designed for elk). One of my brothers had a 7mm TCU, which is a 223 necked out to 7mm. That is a sweet shooting gun. Off a rest, I watched him shoot a 1" group at 200 yards with it. He killed a few deer with it as well.

I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag for hunting but I could never find a round that it would shoot accurately. I tried all the factory ammo and tried many, many handloads from hot to mild, and heavy to light bullet and nothing would shoot well out of it. Perhaps I needed some custom work on the forcing cone.

Attachments

• 1987Bryan1.jpg
    1987Bryan1.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 6

lopsideddirt

My brothers and I got on a Contender kick for a while. All three of us had 14" bull-barrel versions in different calibers. The first deer I ever killed in TN was with a 14" 357 Herrett (30-30 case trimmed down and necked out to 357). Picture below. The round was a bit much for whitetails (it was designed for elk). One of my brothers had a 7mm TCU, which is a 223 necked out to 7mm. That is a sweet shooting gun. Off a rest, I watched him shoot a 1" group at 200 yards with it. He killed a few deer with it as well.

I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag for hunting but I could never find a round that it would shoot accurately. I tried all the factory ammo and tried many, many handloads from hot to mild, and heavy to light bullet and nothing would shoot well out of it. Perhaps I needed some custom work on the forcing cone.
Might even have your chamber throats checked.

Latest posts