Anyone use a hunting pistol.

THEdonkey0515

Was thinking about picking up a ruger blackhawk 44mag 7.5 inch barrel before the season starts. Seems to be one of the better deals on a hunting pistol. I probaby wouldn't use it alot so dont need anything expensive or fancy.

Anyone use a deer hunting pistol?

41Magnum

Yes Sir, I've hunted off and on with a handgun for the last 30 or so years and exclusively the last 5 yrs. My longest shot was on a doe in Alabama back in 1998 with a TC Encore in 260 Rem. about 130-40 yds. Most have been less than 75 yds. My battery today consists of a Ruger SRH in 41 mag. and a Ruger GP100 in 357 mag. and a TC Contender in 35 Rem. The Ruger Blackhawk is a fine handgun and in 44 mag will do you a good job. Is it the standard Blackhawk of the Hunter version. The Hunter version to seems a better hunting handgun but both will work. My advice to you is to find a load it likes and practice,practice, practice till you can keep all six shots in a 8" paper plate at the distance you feel confident in. For some it's 50 yds for others it may be 100 yds. I personally practice at 100 yds with all my hunting handguns. Optics help ALOT, be it a red dot or scope. Jack Weigand at Wiegand scope mounts, makes a real good mount for the Ruger. I shoot scope on all my guns. I also reload my handgun ammo as well.
Good luck with your Ruger and I hope you are successful if you so choose to hunt with a handgun.

Attachments

• 03F128E9-96BF-4CE0-AEB4-0903C6FE07D0.jpeg
    03F128E9-96BF-4CE0-AEB4-0903C6FE07D0.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,210

THEdonkey0515

41Magnum":2iqnhxtd said:
Yes Sir, I've hunted off and on with a handgun for the last 30 or so years and exclusively the last 5 yrs. My longest shot was on a doe in Alabama back in 1998 with a TC Encore in 260 Rem. about 130-40 yds. Most have been less than 75 yds. My battery today consists of a Ruger SRH in 41 mag. and a Ruger GP100 in 357 mag. and a TC Contender in 35 Rem. The Ruger Blackhawk is a fine handgun and in 44 mag will do you a good job. Is it the standard Blackhawk of the Hunter version. The Hunter version to seems a better hunting handgun but both will work. My advice to you is to find a load it likes and practice,practice, practice till you can keep all six shots in a 8" paper plate at the distance you feel confident in. For some it's 50 yds for others it may be 100 yds. I personally practice at 100 yds with all my hunting handguns. Optics help ALOT, be it a red dot or scope. Jack Weigand at Wiegand scope mounts, makes a real good mount for the Ruger. I shoot scope on all my guns. I also reload my handgun ammo as well.
Good luck with your Ruger and I hope you are successful if you so choose to hunt with a handgun.
It's a ruger Super blackhawk 7.5 inch 44 mag not the hunter version. I did see that gun it seems only difference is the hunter version comes with ribs on the barrel and scope rings ready to install. The gun I'm looking at you would have to take the back site off to install a no drill scope mount ans the the hunter version you would not its ready to go besides that same gun I reckon.

I did look at the super blackhawk 41 mag 6.5 inch I heard ammo could be hard to find and I've never been around a 41 mag.

I also looked a the super Redhawks very nice looking gun a bit more pricey. Maybe if I enjoy and get good at it I will but my one in the future.

Attachments

• 20200710_211932.jpg
    20200710_211932.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,193

Westnvol89

41Magnum":1n8pjcmx said:
130 yd kill is very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have a Ruger super Blackhawk in 44 with the 10.5" barrel. It has a Simmons pro hunter scope on it. I have shot a few does, the Longest I have harvested a deer has been 45 yards. I love shooting it and it's really tame with the long barrel. Haven't found a good holster but love hunting with it. The best is when one of your buddies want to see it and think they have to get right up on the scope like a rifle scope. They don't understand the long eye relief. I do have some shooting sticks I use with it, I cannot free hand it with the long barrel. I also added a hogue monogrip, I can shoot better with them than with the slim wood grips.

44 mag

I have hunted on and off with a handgun for a few years. Never brought myself to carry only a handgun for fear of the deer of a lifetime being just outside my comfort zone. I have a Ruger SBH that I am working on getting sighted in now. Also have a TC encore 10.5 in in 7/08 that I have killed with.

KPH

In muzzle loading season I carry a muzzle loading pistol for a back up to finish one off if needed and did get lucky one time and shot one at the bottom of my stand with it. In rifle season I carry a Ruger 44mag hunter just in case I get one close enough to use it.

Chief44

When I was a kid, my Dad deer hunted almost exclusively with his old model 3 screw Super Blackhawk with 7.5 barrel. He bought me my first Super Blackhawk when I was 16 and I fell in love with handgun hunting. That was almost 35 years ago. The 44 mag/special are my favorite handgun calibers and the only calibers that I currently reload. Although I own and have taken deer with other handguns/calibers, I always seem to come back to the 44. My dads been gone for 21 years but I still have his old Super Blackhawk and a handful of his 44 mag reloads. Every couple of years I pull them out of the safe and take a doe or two. Kinda makes me feel like he's there with me. You can't go wrong with the Super Blackhawk, but what ever you choose, practice and know your limits.

41Magnum

Claims Rep.":2sme338i said:
I hunt with the "Hunter" version. Ruger nailed it with both the Hunter and regular Super Blackhawk. Practice with whatever you get, and stay within your limits of what you know you can do (range time will really help). 44MAG is a great deer round.

Here's mine.
FSV38nX.jpg

good looking rig there Sir! Ruger makes a fine hunting handgun. I wanted one of those in 41 Mag. but Ruger would only make a few at a time and it seemed I was always short of cash at the time. They came out with a run of the Super Redhawks in 41 mag and I was able to capture one year before last. Love it, and hope to take a deer or two with it this fall.

44 mag

Claims Rep.":gft9tj9l said:
I hunt with the "Hunter" version. Ruger nailed it with both the Hunter and regular Super Blackhawk. Practice with whatever you get, and stay within your limits of what you know you can do (range time will really help). 44MAG is a great deer round.

Here's mine.
FSV38nX.jpg
What grip is that. I have been looking and all I can find is the regular black hawk. I ordered one that was supposed to fit but I was for the wrong trigger guard.

Claims Rep.

44 mag":3hbnybug said:
Claims Rep.":3hbnybug said:

Here's mine.
FSV38nX.jpg
What grip is that. I have been looking and all I can find is the regular black hawk. I ordered one that was supposed to fit but I was for the wrong trigger guard.

If memory serves correct, I believe that's a factory grip. I traded into that SBH Hunter, and that grip was already on it.

CHRIS WILSON

I've hunted with an Optima V2 muzzleloader pistol occasionally for a few seasons now. Love it. Lately, I've been eyeing the Ruger Blackhawk Hunter in 44 magnum. Might have to bring one home before too long.

Attachments

• Optima.jpg
    Optima.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 881

Cjcates

Ruger gp 100.... farthest shot was 30 yards though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_164638_01.jpg
    IMG_20200809_164638_01.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 683

tnraised

Just parroting others, the Super Redhawk is a beast and great to shoot. 44 tends to be a good handloading option as well, straight walked, hard to double charge, you don't shoot hundreds of them, great cost, can load hot or not fairly easily.

The Super Redhawk comes with scope mounts and rings which may help the price. I think mine was 650 last yead af a show but that was precovid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk