When to plant?

BSK

TS_13 said:
Hey guys due to the lack of rain, when do ya'll think would be the best time to fall plant?

When soil moisture is adequate. Otherwise all that seed will be wasted. Even if it means waiting until mid-October, I will wait until there is adequate soil moisture.

stirrat

planted sep 5 last year and that worked great. i will definately wait until there is a rain front coming through before planting. i hate planting and not getting rain for a week or more

Trapper John

Like BSK said it all depends on soil moisture. The past 2 seasons I've waited until early to mid October before planting. I just wait for a good chance of approaching rain and try to plant within 24 hours of it arriving.

tnbassman

I may regret it if it burns up in Sept. but I put out 4 acres of soy beans, red ripper peas, sunflowers, and sorghum on Saturday July 21st. I also put out a clover and chicory mix in one small 1/2 acre corner. It has rained 6 out of the ten days since planting and most rains were HEAVY and I have beans up to about 4" tall already. I will try and post some pics soon.

156p&y

Good post! I had the guys bailing out on me the other day about pitching for seed, lime, and fertilizer....again! I tried to tell them we already had the plots pretty much ready to go. Me and another guy have disked and picked up rock for last two months. I told them we need to at least have all the seed, lime and fertilizer just in case the weather changes. Especially if we get a tropical storm brewing in mid - late September. I think I'm gonna have to start a no work, no pay, no hunting for you over food plots deal here.

Food Plot 101

That's funny 156. I keep threatening to do that to my bro but he's getting better 'bout the whole work/hunt thing. He and I are the only ones that hunt our lease so for the last 8 years it's been him using the excuse that the deer will be there anyway so there's no sense planting food plots!! He's coming around gradually! I'm gonna try a new concoction this year that includes wheat, oats, peas, crimson clover, chickory and a little greens. According to the almanac, for those that get the rain on the first day of this month can expect 14 more. Let's just hope we can get some good "soakage" out of it.

156p&y

Haha 101 I feel your pain. It's like pounding nails into concrete. I don't get it, we've got one of the best places around to hunt but it seems that no one wants to improve it. What I really don't get is: let's not plant b/c it might not rain! I want what they are smoking. :D Especially don't get it when it's obvious in our region we are not going to have much of an acorn crop this year. Sooo, in my eyes food plots, being any food plot could attract deer from miles. Like agricultural crops do in the summer. So as soon as I conquer that issue I'll let you know how I did it. But then again I'll have to conquer the "please sit still" issue after that. It's kinda funny when I have pictures of guys walking around at 4:00 in afternoon on trail cameras. :)

Latest posts