What do people mean when they refer to "drilling"?

Walk248

I am not a farmer by any stretch. I have read about a technique called drilling (when refering to no-till planting). Please explain. I have been struggling to get our plot going mainly because of lack of equipment. Thanks in advance!

Stick'n'String

A No-till Drill is a piece of equipment used to get seed into the ground without having to turn the soil. Just like it sounds a drill will plug the seed directly into the ground and then recover the hole. This method helps preserve soil moisture. However the equipment is quite expensive.

Walk248

Thanks Stick'n'string. I didn't think I would ever get an answer. The no-till drill sounds out of the question for me. I may just use a nail drag and my pick-up. lol

Soybean Man

In addition, most have single or double disc openers similar to a planter, but are closer together. Common row spacings for drills whether conventional or no-till are 6, 7, 7.5, 8, 10, and 15 inches. Large hopper or hoppers depending on length of drill that can be filled and service many rows versus single hoppers for planters. Most cereal grains and some soybean are drilled. Most corn and cotton farmers and some soybean farmers use planters.

Tater

Re: What do people mean when they refer to "drilli

Most co-op's rent them out but you would have to have a tractor to use one the only ones I've seen use a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower itself.

Latest posts