DEER225

Hey All,

New here, I recently found this site and it has been very helpful so far. I am going to be headed up to wayne county later this season to visit a few non-hunting friends and want to spend a week or so getting some hunting in after my visit. I have been looking at hunting Eagle Creek WMA, but cannot find any recent discussion on it. There are some older threads but nothing since 2019, and I was hoping to get some insight.

I am driving up from FL and would like to get some does for the freezer on this trip. I really don't care about antlers, just hoping to shoot maybe 2 does. Everything I have read says that it holds deer, but the country is pretty rough. I grew up chasing elk out west and am used to hunting steep and deep (kinda hard to find in FL, lol).

Are the deer numbers out there still good?

Would it be unrealistic to try and get a couple does off this WMA in maybe 7 days of hard hunting?

What are the roads like now? Is a 2wd truck going to be alright on most of it?

I really appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

hoghunter65

I have hunted eagle Creek many times, if I were you I would go right down the Rd to Arnold Hollow WMA, we have done really good down there. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive for us and over the past few years never made a trip where at least 1 of our party didn't kill something.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659560283841.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659560283841.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 128
  • FB_IMG_1659560257089.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659560257089.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 129

bjohnson

You'll be able to get around to most of the place with a 2wd truck. You also should not have a problem getting a couple of does. Bear in mind that its probably some of steepest ridges you'll find in the middle TN area. If you've got anymore questions send me a PM and we can discuss further.

DEER225

I have hunted eagle Creek many times, if I were you I would go right down the Rd to Arnold Hollow WMA, we have done really good down there. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive for us and over the past few years never made a trip where at least 1 of our party didn't kill something.
Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

Man, that's a stud 8 you guys got.

DEER225

You'll be able to get around to most of the place with a 2wd truck. You also should not have a problem getting a couple of does. Bear in mind that its probably some of steepest ridges you'll find in the middle TN area. If you've got anymore questions send me a PM and we can discuss further.
Thank you.

Big Jeremy

As mentioned previously, it is in the CWD restricted zone. Roads are good for the most part. The main roads are all suitable for any vehicle. A couple of does is possible in a week of hard hunting. It's beautiful, fairly rugged and steep, and thick with cutover. Definitely better options, but there are deer there, and a lot of room to roam.

arctic_cat

Thanks, I didn't realize it got put into the restriction area this year.

Be sure you read up on the CWD rules. All meat must be deboned before leaving county unless going into another CWD county. And the GW are checking in on people that live outside of Wayne that check deer in. Showing up at peoples houses. I know of 3 people that live in Lawrence county that have been visited by GW after checking deer in Wayne. So be sure your 100% in tune with the regulations

DEER225

As mentioned previously, it is in the CWD restricted zone. Roads are good for the most part. The main roads are all suitable for any vehicle. A couple of does is possible in a week of hard hunting. It's beautiful, fairly rugged and steep, and thick with cutover. Definitely better options, but there are deer there, and a lot of room to roam.
Thanks for the info! I like that they allow camping also, that makes it convenient for me just to camp on the property while I'm hunting there.

Is there another wma in Wayne you would recommend for a meat hunt? I'd be stoked just to get a few does or small buck. I also enjoy having a little room to roam.

DEER225

Be sure you read up on the CWD rules. All meat must be deboned before leaving county unless going into another CWD county. And the GW are checking in on people that live outside of Wayne that check deer in. Showing up at peoples houses. I know of 3 people that live in Lawrence county that have been visited by GW after checking deer in Wayne. So be sure your 100% in tune with the regulations
Thank you, I just found the webpage with all the CWD info on it. I previously thought only the CWD unit had the restrictions, and didn't realize they had added some restrictions to other counties. Thank you for pointing that out, otherwise I would have been oblivious.

Big Jeremy

Thanks for the info! I like that they allow camping also, that makes it convenient for me just to camp on the property while I'm hunting there.

Is there another wma in Wayne you would recommend for a meat hunt? I'd be stoked just to get a few does or small buck. I also enjoy having a little room to roam.
All of the public options in Wayne County are pretty similar. Lots of cutover and reseeded pines of varying maturity. Some hardwood creek bottoms, but mostly pine. Similar terrain for the most part, with some being slightly more rugged than others.

killingtime 41

Also be prepared for frigid temperatures of the like you've never felt in Fl. So make sure you have everything to stay warm. Or you'll crack your teeth shaking so hard. But it's impossible to think of everything since your not use to temps like this. But one afternoon or morning sit and you'll be at Walmart that night. Lol

DEER225

Give me a shout when you get up this way I can put you on a piece of private ground for a couple days unless you are just dead set on hunting public. It's about 40 acres and I don't hunt it much but shouldn't be a problem seeing some deer. It's located one county to the east in Lawrence county.
Awesome thank you! I'll gladly take you up on that! I'll be heading up that way around Dec 1.

DEER225

Give me a shout when you get up this way I can put you on a piece of private ground for a couple days unless you are just dead set on hunting public. It's about 40 acres and I don't hunt it much but shouldn't be a problem seeing some deer. It's located one county to the east in Lawrence county.
Can you shoot me a pm? Since I'm new here I'm not yet able to initiate a pm. Thanks.

Latest posts