Two 280AI Questions

TNRifleman

I didn't want to hijack the other post but I just picked up a Bergara Premier Stalker in 280AI a few weeks back and had a couple questions.

1. Does anyone shoot factory ammo out of theirs and if so, what have you found to be a good load.

2. If I shoot normal 280 ammo, how much, if any, accuracy loss should I expect to see.

DaveB

Thinking your best answer is going to be acquire some 280 factory and decide for yourself.

Only AI fire forming I have observed was load shoot. No sight picture no cheek weld.

Toss this one to Tim.

Hunter 257W

Not exactly the same thing but very close would be with my 22 CHeetah when fireforming brass.

If you're not familiar with the cartridge, you start with the special Remington BenchRest Basic cases which are 308 dimensions and run it through 3 form dies and a trim die then ream the necks. At that point you still have the original shoulder angle of a 308 so to get the final 40 degree shoulder you simply fire it in the rifle much like a standard 280 in a 280 AI chamber. My rifle is capable of 1/4" 100 yard groups with fully preped brass but still shoots about 1/2" while fireforming.

TiminTN

When Jim Borden built my first of 3 280 Ackley's, back around 1991 brass was a bit of a surprise when I found Winchester only offered 280 Rem brass in nickel. I thought on that for a day or so and came up with my own plan. The only other case with same OAL as the 280 is the 270 Winchester and Winchester makes it in brass, SOOO, I bought a Redding tapered expander and necked the 270 cases up to 30, then sized them back to fit the 280AI chamber, with Redding 280AI dies with a slight crush fit. Presto, Winchester head stamp 280AI brass. I didn`t own a 270 at the time so it was not an issue to get them mixed up. Accuracy when fireforming was not as good as afterwards. I have dozens of targets of 100 yard 5 shot groups from the .3`s to .5". The first one was a Hart #5 barrel in 12" twist. I knew I was only going to shoot 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips is the reason for the chosen twist. The fun of rolling your own! I have a Bartlein #19 taper, 11 twist, 4 groove (Remington Magnum) and a brand new reamer in 7mm Rem Mag I need to finish for myself, those New Mexico antelope, keep calling me. My wife loved New Mexico!

If I were going to shoot factory ammo it would be Nosler 280AI loaded with 140 Nosler Accubonds.

I was sure rambling here, can delete.

TNRifleman

Thanks all for the input. I do not reload yet but with buying one of these, may start sometime soon.

I am going to shoot the Nosler loaded with 140 gr AB's and 160 gr AB's and will likely try out the Hornady ELD-X 162 gr to see what it shoots the best. I really want to shoot the 160's but we will see what it likes.

Latest posts