Turpin box call

Gwtaylor

Anyone have / use?
Bought one off him couple of years ago and I just cannot use it well. It's like the lid is way to loose to use.
Is anyone having the same problem?

Jbird22

I don't own any made by him but do own a few made by Doug Morgan from MS. Mick is right in the fact that they have no springs. You have to cant the lid in toward the side as you run it. There is a bit of a learning curve to them but once you get it figured out they sound as authentic as it gets IMO.

Huntaholic

Turpin pro-staffer here. You have to "torque" the lid. That's the best way I can describe it. Put a little pressure, kind of a push with one hand. pull with the other to load up tension on the screw, then "torque" the lid a tiny bit with your paddle hand. Its a lot harder to tell you about it than it ever would be to show you. I guarantee in less than a minute I could show you how to do it.

Gwtaylor

I have hit a note a time or 2 that sounds really good.
Just wish I could figure it out.
I played around with the screw last year and think I actually got if off tune.

UpperTully

Huntaholic":2jfgv5tg said:
Turpin pro-staffer here. You have to "torque" the lid. That's the best way I can describe it. Put a little pressure, kind of a push with one hand. pull with the other to load up tension on the screw, then "torque" the lid a tiny bit with your paddle hand. Its a lot harder to tell you about it than it ever would be to show you. I guarantee in less than a minute I could show you how to do it.

I didn't know this until the other day when I was reading a discussion Steve was having about the boxes but they are designed so that the lid is picked up on the back stroke instead of drug across. I'm guessing this is why some have a little more difficult time with the Turpin box.

Latest posts