TSS

ADR

scn":oeyf1x1w said:
It's great to shoot three shells and kill three gobblers.

I wouldn't even consider using it for waterfowl.

It is some lethal stuff but unless you have an unlimited supply or unlimited funds, I'm with Steve, was too expensive to sling at waterfowl.

rukiddin

I've been loading it in 28 gauge and 410 for the last 6 years before it became so popular for turkeys just for duck hunting. I don't duck hunt as much as I used to so it's not terribly expensive and I'll shoot my 20 gauge with steel if need be.
I'm more confident shooting my 28 gauge loaded with either 3/4 or 1 ounce of 8-1/2's or 9's than I ever was shooting my 12 gauge. TSS will out perform any 10 or 12 gauge shooting steel. I've killed everything from a tundra swan in N.C. to geese and teal with my handloads. Results have all been stellar. There are zero disadvantages to shooting a subgauge Gun loaded with TSS. The lil guns will out kill and out pattern the big guns with steel all day every day. I've said it since day one. If tss ever becomes affordable, the 12 gauge will go the way of the 10 gauge and the 20 and 28's will be kings of the Duck blinds.

Personal opinion only, but I think tss is wasted when shooting it in a 12 gauge for waterfowl. Where tss shines the absolute brightest is in the 20, 28 and 410 guns. And in reality, the same could be said for the 20 gauge.
I also know a lot of guys who duplex it with steel to save money. There money, there choice but I'll never duplex tss with steel shot. Makes zero sense to Me why you want to mix the worst patterning shot component (steel) ever made and mix/stack it with most superior patterning component ever made. I do understand the cost savings of it but if I gotta duplex it to be able to afford shooting it out of a 12 gauge, then I'd either 1. Not shoot it and stick to other cheaper non tox shot or 2. Buy a 28 gauge and take the same amount of tss you were using in the duplex load and make a full payload tss only 28 gauge load.

I've even shot resident Canada's with 10's. Extreme carnage is probably the best way to describe that outcome.

Southern Sportsman

18 g/cc tungsten is absolutely, hands down, 100% the best shotgun payload available today. Especially, as rukiddin mentioned, in a subgauge. I shot a tundra swan in NC with a .410 loaded with TSS 7 1/2s. Roughly 40 yards straight up and he dish-ragged. The payload went through the breast, body, and out his back. I've completely quit carrying a 12 gauge for turkeys. But tungsten is expensive. I won't pay what it cost to shoot it at ducks routinely. I've have killed a few with .410 and tungsten hand loads. That's fun and I'll do it periodically. But you can make 17 .410 shells with a pound of shot. So ~ $2.75 a shell for a novelty to hunt with once or twice a year. The .410 option should let my son shoot at ducks a year or two sooner than he otherwise could. But given the cost, I don't see tungsten replacing steel shot and a 12 gauge as my everyday duck hunting choice.