Tree identification please

deerchaser007

I'm just puzzled on this one and Google is not helping me. Only tree literature I have is for hardwood variety. Curiosity is killing me, can someone tell me what this is? I'm from the cedar glades, so I'm just not familiar with anything evergreen like this. Bowhunter and I are convinced it's a type of pine, but can't figure out what type. Or, we may be wrong.

deerchaser007

I guess your right. Just seems strange. The cedar glades are mostly in hills from Woodbury to murfreesboro, up toward Lebanon, and down into Bedford and Moore county. I'm in the southern part of cannon put on the rim. I have never seen a cedar out here on this part of rim,not for at least 8 miles to town and the hills.. No cedar nowhere around my house. Amazing how long seed can remain dormant underground and then sprout with some sunlight and soil disturbance. Only thing I can think of.

deerchaser007

This is a pic of eastern white pine seedling, which also looks similar. The pics of mine are beside a drainage ditch that drains the farm fields from beside me. Above the fields there was a huge lot of pines they just cut. Very mature pines. Is there a way to tell a difference in a white pine seedling and a cedar seedling? By the pics, they look so similar to me.

Diehard Hunter

deerchaser007":1kfhh5y9 said:
This is a pic of eastern white pine seedling, which also looks similar. The pics of mine are beside a drainage ditch that drains the farm fields from beside me. Above the fields there was a huge lot of pines they just cut. Very mature pines. Is there a way to tell a difference in a white pine seedling and a cedar seedling? By the pics, they look so similar to me.

Yes, touch them. A juvenile red cedar will have very sharp needles, all the pines will be soft. Also, pine needles are much longer than cedar needles, even in seedlings.

BSK

deerchaser007":25oaqgc0 said:
Amazing how long seed can remain dormant underground and then sprout with some sunlight and soil disturbance.

When I was still working for my old boss, and he cut some old cedar glades and burned them on his property in Southeast Missouri, wildflowers and other broadleaf weeds appeared that hadn't been seen in that region of the country in over 100 years. I've heard the same thing about some of the old-growth forests of the Eastern U.S., and especially the Smokies. Open the canopy of a 200-year-old forest and plants sprout that haven't been seen since colonial times.

AllOutdoors

BSK":1ogf1r0k said:
deerchaser007":1ogf1r0k said:
Amazing how long seed can remain dormant underground and then sprout with some sunlight and soil disturbance.

When I was still working for my old boss, and he cut some old cedar glades and burned them on his property in Southeast Missouri, wildflowers and other broadleaf weeds appeared that hadn't been seen in that region of the country in over 100 years. I've heard the same thing about some of the old-growth forests of the Eastern U.S., and especially the Smokies. Open the canopy of a 200-year-old forest and plants sprout that haven't been seen since colonial times.
Interesting indeed.

BSK

Seeds are living things, yet they can survive in the soil for hundreds of years until just the right conditions occur for germination.