trapping cam

fishboy1

Put my trail cam out on one of my sets and set it to VIDEO for about 2 weeks..... Wow.

Set: Pile of hay the size of a bed pillow with a chunk of yote killed chicken buried inside the hay pile. Splash of fox pee on the edge of the hay. Set was made at the edge of a log road between 2 fields and had enough room around the hay for yotes to walk on either side without going into the thick weeds. Each walk through has a #3 duke soft catch. Basically it was a hybrid- walk through, scent post, haybait set.

No action on the set in 2 weeks before pulling the card. When I checked the video, second day after making the set, roaming dogs (neighborhood wild roamers) stole the bait out of my set. Looked like they stepped right on the pan but it was 22degrees day after it rained so Im guessing the set was frozen in. (need to work on my trap bedding skills)
3 nights after that, a yote came in and marked the hay pile missing the pan with his front foot by about 3".
Day 7 I freshened the urine and added 3 drops of beaver castor to the hay pile.
4 nights later a bobcat walked by and never even looked at the set.
2 nights after that a yote walked right in to the side of the set (away from traps) sniffed the hay pile and left.

Puting a cam on your sets is awesome! I thought I had zero action on the set but there was activity a couple nights a week.
Now I have to make some adjustments to the set and put the camera back out with fresh batteries.

I am thinking of punching in a dirt hole under the hay bale and putting some scrap venison chunks down the hole.

Not sure what I will do to attract the bobcat. Probably make a flashy dirt hole set on the other side of the road with some chicken feathers scattered around and hang a chicken wing over the set to use as a flag.

CATCHDAWG

That's pretty cool! The last snow we got here was interesting as well, could see exactly where the critters were putting their feet.
And btw, scroll down a little, we got a trapping forum now. :tu:

fishboy1

trigger speed is an issue. I got a couple blank videos and one that just showed a coon tail heading out of frame.

Latest posts