Today's dig.

Carlos

I was able to dig for several hours today, and found a few things. This area has been searched by several folks before. It's a pretty big place, with a rock shelter and a 'U' shaped bluff-line. There's a spring where water comes up and makes a small creek right next to it.

I probably found 40 pieces of chips. Here's a few that were exciting to unearth. They're broken, but still interesting to find.

Attachments

• 20230221_161156.jpg
    20230221_161156.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 228

338lapuaman

the rock in the second pic is what is commonly referred to as a "nutting stone" where they ground corn and various nuts to make meal with. Good finds

LanceS4803

From listening to Meateater podcasts (they have lots of archeologist/historian types on), people used the same spot to knap rocks, for generations. A lot of times they were in good observation posts to watch for game. So, dual purposes.

Carlos

the rock in the second pic is what is commonly referred to as a "nutting stone" where they ground corn and various nuts to make meal with. Good finds
I didn't even bring that one home. Next time I go back I'm going to pack it out, and we'll as the round rock that fits into in.

cbhunter

I didn't even bring that one home. Next time I go back I'm going to pack it out, and we'll as the round rock that fits into in.
If you have both, that makes it extra special! Looking forward to following your future finds there. You certainly unearthed some heart breakers. How long did you spend to find what you did? Pretty damn successful if you ask me

Tenntrapper

You should go dig in my papaw's back yard (where he lived before he passed 20+ yrs ago).
Back in the 80s, I couldn't tell you how many 5gal buckets full of stuff we buried back there. He always said....one day... someone is going to hit the mother load... 😂
Last time I google mapped it (sat view), the house had been demolished and there was a hog lot there... 😂

Carlos

If you have both, that makes it extra special! Looking forward to following your future finds there. You certainly unearthed some heart breakers. How long did you spend to find what you did? Pretty damn successful if you ask me
I was only there for about 3 hours. I dug 4-5 holes that were all around 3ft deep.
Before I went, I put a sifter together and used 1/4" hardware cloth.

It was quite a bit of work, a lot more difficult than I would have thought.

cbhunter

I was only there for about 3 hours. I dug 4-5 holes that were all around 3ft deep.
Before I went, I put a sifter together and used 1/4" hardware cloth.

It was quite a bit of work, a lot more difficult than I would have thought.
Nice

Maybe an electric pressure washer and small generator. Maybe a stupid idea but it just came to me 😂

KTS

Really good start, just keep at it and it will pay off.
It is just a matter of time and paying your dues, it is not an easy hobby but when you do find a "Killer" you will be hooked.
The nutting stone is a really nice artifact, you really need to take it home. I am surprised someone else hasn't already.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Carlos

Nice

Maybe an electric pressure washer and small generator. Maybe a stupid idea but it just came to me 😂
I thought about something similar. Maybe a huge water tank on top of the bluff, with a hose feeding down. There's so much dark black soil under the overhang, it probably wouldn't ever be enough water.

This area has been hunted quite a few times before, I'm just finding the broken ones they didn't want so far. There's always a chance they missed some points though, I guess.

cbhunter

I thought about something similar. Maybe a huge water tank on top of the bluff, with a hose feeding down. There's so much dark black soil under the overhang, it probably wouldn't ever be enough water.

This area has been hunted quite a few times before, I'm just finding the broken ones they didn't want so far. There's always a chance they missed some points though, I guess.
I suspect they would have kept the broken points regardless. Your gonna find some more I believe

mike243

I know a place on the white/dekalb county line that has 1000's of broken arrow heads and chips if somebody didn't already sort through them, game trail runs down the side of a creek and no telling how many are pushed over the edge, same creek I found a foot print in the creek bed stone, no telling how old that was. was family property up until 20 years or so ago.

backyardtndeer

Cool finds. I need to do some digging around here. Have found a few pieces running the tiller in the garden and also found a few discing food plots. Pretty well just dumb luck. I really wouldn't know where to start.

Latest posts