This made my day

Chiflyguy

I just throw cameras in the woods with no strategy.
I'm not a strategic deer hunter.
I just sit in a tree and hope for the best.

Attachments

• IMG_7379.jpeg
    IMG_7379.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 230

Chiflyguy

Good buck! But for not being strategic you sure picked a good spot. The opposite side of that bank is a field??? Notice how if he raises his head he just barely could scan that field for does, but nothing in that field can see him. Makes for one heck of a rut cruise corridor.
It's a trail the owner put in.
Goes to the top of the mountain.
He came down like they do.
Maybe I have a clue what I'm doin after all.
Oh, this made all the chigger bites I got Monday worth hanging my camera.🤬

Ski

Except I have intentional made trails that go all over the place, and much farther than walking in a straight line, and the deer still followed them.

Edge is my guess. A path cuts a separation line through an area that didn't already have it. If the habitat is thick enough then every trail cut through it also reveals easy access browse that would've been difficult or impossible to get beforehand. And since they're already hardwired to make & follow trails, perhaps they just can't help themselves.

BSK

Edge is my guess. A path cuts a separation line through an area that didn't already have it. If the habitat is thick enough then every trail cut through it also reveals easy access browse that would've been difficult or impossible to get beforehand. And since they're already hardwired to make & follow trails, perhaps they just can't help themselves.
I think this is the answer: they are hardwired to do so. Where I grew up in southern KY, I when we had snow, I would cross-country ski across open pastures. No matter where I went and zig-zagged, the next day, deer tracks following everywhere I went. They just can't help themselves.

Chiflyguy

There is a hayfield where he was looking.
He has to climb down about 75 feet straight down to get there.
There is a trail that goes down to it back where he came from.