Terrible Bow Shop Service

Muy Grande

We have a lack of choices in bowhunting and archery dealers here in my area of NW Alabama. Where I live there are only two within a 30 minutes drive and with gas they way it is, that is plenty far enough. Recently, those two went to one for me. A little background...Around 6-7 years ago, when there was only one of these shops in business I was a fairly regular customer. Then, arrows I had done started dropping vanes WAY too easily. Inserts started coming loose inside 3D targets where either points were lost or targets destroyed trying to get them out. So, I bought my own jig (which I should have done in the 1st place) and started to fletch my own. No big deal. Also, at this time, my velcro strap on my Truball release started to get old and make noise. So, I stopped in this shop one day (where I purchased the release) to try and get a buckle strap. They didn't have one but assured me they could order one and have it in a week or so. Being summer, this wasn't a problem. A couple of weeks passed, and I stopped in to check on it. No strap. Waited a couple more weeks. No strap. Two more weeks passed making six total when I stopped in for a third time. No strap. The tech acted irritated and went over and took a brand new release out, removed the buckle and sold that one to me. Sorry I made him do his job. So, I stayed away from that store except for emergency situations and started making my purchases on the 'net. But, I do not own a press. So over the past few years when I needed new silencers installed, peeps, etc. I was kinda forced into going to this place. And seeing as how I have ALWAYS shot Dartons or Hoyts, I always got the despised look when I came in since I did not shoot their beloved Mathews. That didn't bother me that much, but it was annoying. Fast forward to last year. They FINALLY start offering Hoyt bows. GREAT!!! Now instead of having to drive to Michie, TN to buy one, I could drive 10 minutes. Sidenote: In 2007, I drove back to Michie, TN (2hour round trip) just to have my peep adjusted as to not have to deal with the close "pro" shop. Back to the back-breaking point. This March, I stopped in at the local shop to order a new Winner's Choice string for my Vulcan. Even though they are not listed as a dealer on the WC site, I figured I would at least ask if they could get me a set. Came in when I was buying some ammo, and brought the strings/cables up and was told that would not be a problem. I had my lengths for my bow ready, and my color picked out...FLO GREEN SPECKLED. No problem, they said. Took my phone number and said they would be here in a week or so. 4 weeks pass before my phone call inquiring about the string on a Saturday. Yeah, they came in yesterday, but we're covered up today they said. No problem. I offered to come in on Tuesday morning to get 'em put on. So, I get home from a 12 hour nightshift at the plant at 0730 AM on Tuesday. They don't open until 0830AM. I remain up, excited about my new strings. I get there, head over to the desk and press. Dude tells me to leave it and he'll have it ready by that afternoon. I tell him to wait about serving my peep in so I can check it, and then ask the fateful question: I had some release rope that I got on AT in FLO GREEN. I ask if this green is bright enough to match. I get a puzzled look, he says no, and then shows me my strings. DARK GREEN/BROWN. he then has the nerve to tell me that the brighter colors take longer to get and he "didn't think I would mind" that he ordered these instead. I tell the fellow this is not what I ordered, and ask how long it will take for the ones I wanted. I was told if I left the bow it would be ready that afternoon. Apparently misunderstood, I tell him he is NOT putting those strings on my Vulcan and I meant how long to order what I wanted in the first place! He again aggravatedly gets my number and says a couple of weeks. That was in April. As of today, I have still never heard back from this store. And I will never set foot back in it...EVER.

The second store, which is in Killen, AL. close to Florence is called The Outdoor and Archery Store. I stopped in there since they are actually listed as WC dealers. It is a LOT smaller store, but they have some nice stuff. Bowtech/PSE dealer. Anyway, on a Thursday, I stop in and order some FLO GREEN SPECKLED WC strings/cables. The following Tuesday, he calls, and that evening we have them installed for $93. Flawlessly, I might add. Andrew is the guy who owns it and does the work. One man show. Great guy, knows his stuff, and is HONEST with his customers. I will drive the extra 20 minutes to get to him from now on. I just talked on the phone with him to order the newer Trophy Taker FC top slot rest. He said I will be shooting it by this weekend. I don't doubt him at all. So if you live in NW Alabama or SW Tennessee check him out. He is very good.

As for the FIRST store, I live in Tuscumbia, AL and that should answer the question or send me a message and I'll give you the name.

MTW

they guy in michie knows his stuff, and he dont get pissed off when you bring a pearson in to work on like some snob shops.

id rather drive 2 hours than to let some idiot to work on my stuff. they only get one shot with my money, and if they screw up, i wont be back

Double Drops

Do yourself a favor & buy a press. It's really not difficult to learn how to do everything that an archery shop can do. It is well worth the money in my opinion. It's taken archery to a whole new level & appreciation for me since I started doing my own work.

Latest posts