Target Panic

Phil Floyd

I have shot traditional for many years. 3 or 4 years ago health issues prevented me from being abIe to draw my bow to full draw. I quit shooting. Finally, this year I bought a recurve with lighter(44#) limbs. I can comfortably pull that weight. The problem is that I am having trouble reaching full draw before I release. It is an uncontrollable action. This is a text book case of target panic. Now I have to figure out how to overcome it. Any thoughts?

eddie c

Phil Floyd":10y9ja3o said:
Yes. If I know I am not going to release, I can reach full draw with my eyes open and on target. If I think I might release, it all goes south.

interesting .
maybe draw back with eyes closed, get to anchor, open your eyes and lie to yourself and shoot?

Shag

I have the same problem. If I try to shoot instinctive, burning a hole, I'll release before anchor every time. What I do is pick my spot, burn a hole BUT I look up with my eyes to the upper limb til I hit anchor. Then I get get my sight picture and readjust if needed. OR I pretend I'm following a deer walking....I know where my target is but I'll draw and anchor 5-10 yards off the side, then gradually ease over to the target. It's good hunting practice and keeps me at full draw.

Target panic only gets me bad up close. If I stretch it out over 20 yards I don't have any issues. I feel your pain. Target panic SUCKS!

southernhunter

Master of bare bow videos , I think #4 deals with target panic, I have never suffered from it but they said to pull back the bow and move tip of arrow from top to bottom of target and or side to side . Basically you have to train your Subconscious to allow your conscious to be in control. Pulling back and letting down was another exercise they talked about.

Phil Floyd

Making progress, but still not happy. I really have to concentrate on the draw, anchor, and release as individual steps rather than one smooth action. I will get there.