string silencers

xjjeeperx

I bought a new Barnett crossbow and I love it. I'm just wondering if any of you use string silencers on your crossbow and if so what kind. Also any tips on good arrows and broadheads would be helpful. The bow shoots 20" arrows and I will mostly be hunting deer and turkey with it.

varminthunter123

I have tried silencers on my Excalibur and noticed that I was loosing 25 to 35 fps on my arrow speed. I have purchased a string stop which helps to reduce string vibration and not effect overall arrow speed.
Talked to the techs at Excalibur and he told me that at 350fps or above arrow speed, a deer would not be able to jump the string at 40 yards or less.
I believe this to be true, I have removed my silencers and limit my shots to 40 yards or less and have not have a single deer jump string in almost three years of hunting with a crossbow.
11 deer don't lie, but they ALL died!!! :)

highcountry74

i bought a set of bow jax.didnt put em on my string but did on my cables they attach with cable ties so i can take off and put back on at a whim.ive had both my kids turn there backs and the could tell when i had the bow jax on or off.i use alum bolts so my crossbow wont be as loud as if i used carbon bolts.then agin its a crossbow you can add some things but there goona be loud regardles.the 2 deer ive shot didnt jump the string and they where shot @22 and 26 yards.i also use the sims limb attactments too which help with vibration.no quiver attached and i can honestly say it aint as loud as some bows ive heard shot.hope this helps