Strange duck

TNTomtaker01

spitndrum said:
Was you hunting with David?
Yeah its was his duck, that what is making the decision hard. He didnt know if he was going to mount it or not and i was going to mount him with another drake i got earlier this year.

rukiddin

SilverFox said:
rukiddin? said:
SilverFox said:
One of the Duck Commander's finest ducks right there... tame.

Care to elaborate on that theory?

Duck Commander... and the rest of them bringing tame ducks in to shoot.... only fitting that you get a white one mixed up in the bunch.

Did it have clip toe? LOL

Thats hilarious! For the sake of hijacking a special and rare duck thread, I'll just leave it at that.

baller_9

I've duck hunted my whole life and don't believe for a second thats a duck that has crossed bred to a tame duck. So let me get this straight...a drake mallard bred with a tame pond duck in someones backyard...after the tame duck raised the half breed it joined the wild ducks the following year by flying down the flyway to join it's half brothers and sisters? That makes sense...

I wouldn't even think twice about mounting that duck. Thats a once in a lifetime bird. If you don't mount it I'll pm you my address so you can freeze it and send it to me and I'll mount it.

Dodgeball

09130820471.jpg

Mounted this one

I would mount it...I have killed a couple mixes before and mounted both of them...I also don't think it is cross with tame duck if you killed it on public land or private land that does not release birds...or not anywhere near a reserve...

SilverFox

Just one of the many articles about mallards crossbreeding with tame ducks.

Without the pics... http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-birds.htm

HYBRID WATERFOWL

DUCKS

Duck hybrids include various hybrids between Tufted Duck, Greater Scaup, Pochard, Ferruginous Duck and Ring-necked Duck. Other documented hybrids included Baikal Teal x Northern Pintail, Ruddy Duck x White-headed Duck, Ruddy Shelduck x Shelduck, White-faced whistling duck x Plumed Whistling Duck, Hooded merganser x Smew, Eurasian Wigeon x American wigeon. A far more extensive list of hybrids between duck species is contained in the Handbook of Avian Hybrids of the World by Eugene M McCarthy (2006).

The Mallard is notoriously well able to hybridise, particularly with other ducks of the Anas genus. Mallards have hybridised with the the following species: New Zealand Black Duck, Muscovy (Musk) Duck, Northern Pintail, American Black Duck, Pacific Black Duck, Florida Duck, Meller's Duck, Yellow-billed Duck and the New Zealand Gray Duck among others. The Mexican Duck has become so mongrelised with Mallards as to be questionable as a distinct species. The Mariana Mallard was derived from Mallard � Pacific Black Duck hybrids, but became extinct in the 1980s. Not all Mallard hybrids are successful, being less well adapted to an ecological niche than the pure non-Mallard parent. Mallard x Laysan Duck hybrids tend to be unsuccessful compared to the pure Laysan Duck. Mallard x Hawaiian Duck hybrid offspring are less well-adapted to native habitat. The Mallard also breeds freely with domestic ducks to produce fertile offspring, many of which are descended from Mallard stock (some biologists therefore prefer to call this intergrades), for example with Aylesbury (heavy-set white ducks) and White Campbells. Mixed populations of feral domestics, wild Mallards and intermediate types are found on many lakes and ponds.

The photos show a number of hybrids between Mallards and domestic ducks; these are intra-specific hybrids (hybrids between subspecies) since the domestic ducks are descended from wild Mallards. This is equivalent to the situation in wolf/dog hybrids as the dog is a domesticated subspecies of wolf mating back to the ancestral species. The Muscovy (Cairina moschata) x Mallard (Anas platyrhyncos) is an inter-species hybrid. The Domestic Muscovy duck is itself a hybrid of wild Muscovy females and males from the South American Comb Duck and White Winged Wood Duck. Muscovy x South American Comb Duck pairings produce sterile females and poorly fertile males (about 1 in 30 males may be fully fertile) while Muscovy x White Winged Wood Duck pairings produce fertile males. In Taiwan, domestic Muscovies are crossed with domestic Mallards to produce the commercially important Mule Duck.

Pied "Mallard" duck (Chichester Park, Ipswich, Sept 2006). This may be the result of hybridisation with domestic Muscovy ducks (it is very similar to a hybrid Mallard x Muscovy in the Natural History Museum).

Male and female hybrids between Mallard and Aylesbury or White Campbell (domestic white) duck. The female has a bright yellow beak. These ducks were heavy set compared to others in the area leading me to suspect Aylesbury parentage. The polygamous Aylesbury duck is descended from the monogamous Mallard.

Male hybrid of Mallard and domestic duck. Possibly the parentage includes one of the pom-pom crested domestic Mallards.

A trio of Mallard x domestic duck crosses, with a mix of white and wild-type colouration, at Richmond, London. They live among normal wild-type Mallards.

Mallard x domestic duck crosses on the lake in Danbury Park; these keep apart from the wild-type Mallards. One is an attractive pastel colour, the others are shades of brown with a brown head rather than a green one.

Mallard x domestic duck crosses on the lake in Central Park, Chelmsford; these mix freely with the wild-type Mallards. Two White Campbell type ducks also live with the wild Mallards. The hybrids include white chested and speckled-chested birds and one with no neck ring.

Muscovy ducks (and the domesticated form known as the Barbary duck) are South American ducks that have been imported into many regions and established feral populations. A cross of a Mallard male mated to a Muscovy female produces progeny that has the Mallard plumage color for the most part (Morley A. Jull (1952). Hybrid Ducks. World's Poultry Science Journal, 8 , pp 191-191). In Taiwan and Europe, sterile hybrids called Mule Ducks, have been bred from Muscovy x Mallard (Ref: Dr Ed Hoffmann, Canning, N.S., Canada Dec. 1993 ) In Taiwan, the Kaiya breed (derived from Mallard stock) is used and Mule ducks have been bred for almost 300 years. Incubation time of mule-bearing eggs is 32 days. The hybrids are calm, tame, quiet and do not fly. The mule females lack functioning ovaries and grow as large and fast as the Mule drakes. The Mule drakes may have limited fertility. The domestic Kaiya (White Pekin x Tsiaya cross) is buff, but carries genes for other colours/patterns which are passed to the Mule offspring. These colours were introduced from White Pekin ducks whose colour masks other colours. White Mule Ducks can be bred from a white form of Tsiaya (another domestic breed) mated to Muscovy drakes. Both Muscovy and Kaiya species have genes for the white colour, but these genes are in different places on the chromosomes, so mating a white Kiaya and a white Muscovy can produce coloured offspring.

The same situation is seen in the Mallard/domestic hybrids. The domestic white ducks can still carry genes to produce other colours, it is just that those colours are masked by the white colour. Once the white ducks start breeding with Mallards and the hybrids breed among themselves (being so closely related they are fertile), those hidden colours start showing up in the offspring giving pastels, browns, buffs and various patterns

TNTomtaker01

Dont know what it is dont really care what it crossed with in its life, but if it works the wind like a duck and comes to a call like a duck it can die like a duck. Its a cool color phase no matter what it is and i believe i will hang it in my den for me and others to enjoy. Thanks for all the replys guys.

Latest posts