Small Fawns

LenS

When do you think these twins were born, given how small they are? It's amazing to me how spread out breeding can be in TN. The majority of our fawns are to the size now where it can be difficult to tell them from momma. That's not the case here!

Attachments

• 1219034-958221c2-9ec0-11ee-ae09-06b566c11394.MP4
    9.1 MB

BSK

Hard to say at this point, other than "born late." And up and down the KY Lake drainage - the areas hit hardest by the 2022 drought - I'm seeing a lot of late-born fawns this year. I suspect the drought is the culprit. I ran a photo census in that region this year where almost no fawns were showing up on camera in early August. However, some did show up in September and they were the size of house cats. I would say 85% of fawns on that property were like this. Herd dynamics on the property are excellent, so the late breeding was not due to poor dynamics. I can only assume poor animal health from the drought prevent conceptions during the "normal" rut, which in itself was delayed due to poor health. I would guess many of these fawns were conceived in early January for an area with a normal peak of breeding around Thanksgiving.

backyardtndeer

Everything I have read says twins don't typically happen in a does first year. Maybe her first cycle was late as a fawn, and her second cycle was also a little delayed. We have a young doe that I have seen several times here with a small fawn, significantly smaller than the other fawns. I believe the doe was bred late in the year, in her first cycle as a fawn, at about 6 months old.

Ski

Here's a pic from last December of a fawn with spots. Figuring those spots are nearly gone, that would make the fawn 3.5mo old ish? That means it was born around August 1st. With a 201 day gestation it's momma was bred mid January. Although pretty late it's not out of the ordinary to see rutting activity around here still going on well after season closes.

1703184600243.jpeg

Biggun4214

I've seen spotted fawns in November and December. I've seen does carrying fawns as late as October.
I confiscated a poached spotted fawn on November 13 once. It might have weighed 15 lbs. We estimated the age at around 6 weeks.

BSK

I have seen chases in january and early February several times . I dont think it is extremely rare.
Chasing is certainly not rare in the winter months. Barren does and female fawns reaching puberty can produce a fair number of chases January to March. I've seen chases as late as Easter.

Latest posts