Ruger Old Army for Deer

arkansawyer

So, I'm seriously considering attempting to take a deer with this revolver and wanted some feedback, especially from anyone who may have attempted something similar. I've been shooting this 1982 Old Army since I was a kid, enjoy the hell out of it, and am constantly surprised by the achievable accuracy that a .457 ball and patch gun can produce at distance. It's so heavy that outliers rarely occur in groups due to the easy of holding it steady (with practice). Two handed standing shots @40 yds are usually somewhere in the 4"-6" range and I haven't attempted braced shots with it.

Best results for me occur with just a hair under 40gr of 777 and are in the 1100fps range. Is there any reason hunting deer with it would be unethical if I limit myself to shots inside of my practical bow range (45yds)? Just looking for some opinions before I go overboard. I'm dying to try it! It's the only one of 7 blackpowder weapons that I haven't take a deer with!

-Dylan

Attachments

• F2D91B09-D5F1-48E2-BFDC-FE3259BDDE98.jpeg
    F2D91B09-D5F1-48E2-BFDC-FE3259BDDE98.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,857

Wobblyshot1

I posted about my efforts before but the few times I've tried, the deer were not cooperating. My Old Army is stainless and has had a trigger job and a different shape front sight installed. Other enhancements include pachmayr grips and new Ampco nipples with a much smaller base hole than the stock ones.
I have modified a Lee SWC 190 gr. mould by grinding a small groove on one of full diameter parts of the bullet cavity. When cast this leaves a small hump which is subsequently shaved off when pushed into the cylinder making for a very tight fit. With 35 grs. of GOEX 4fg black powder(about all I can get in the cylinder and still fully seat the bullet),over my Chrony, velocities were around 1050 fps. With the hotter Swiss powder I was getting somewhat higher numbers but don't remember now the exact figures. From rest I was able to keep all shots into a minute of deer group at fifty yards.
Season before last I had a small deer get within 15/20 yards and was about to drop the hammer when it turned slightly revealing to small bumps on its head. I decided to back off and hopefully let this young buck grow. That was the last time I had the Old Army out ahuntin. Your post reminded me that maybe I should get it out again soon.

Smo

Hey Wobbly,

That's what is old retired geezers do isn't it?

We got all day just to think up crazy stuff to do! LOL

A pistol , hmmmm, Muzzle Loading pistol would be a challenge!

Wobblyshot1

You've got a point there, Smo...Ha, Ha! Actually can't take credit for this. It's from an article I read in a gun magazine years ago... thought it was pretty cool so I tried it. The only thing I found fault in with the article was that the author was touting 41 mag performance.... seems more along 44 spl or 45 colt to me.

Smo

I guess I can make another spot on the Smo-Do list for a muzzle loader pistol deer, it'll be after taking a deer with my smoothbore,my Rolling Block & my Long Bow! Hopefully..... lol

CHRIS WILSON

Nice revolver. So, a .457 round ball is around what?....140-150 gr? I'm thinking if it's kept within a certain range it should work fine. Don't know if I'd expect an exit wound though.

CHRIS WILSON

Smo":1tldhp09 said:
Hey Wobbly,

That's what is old retired geezers do isn't it?

We got all day just to think up crazy stuff to do! LOL

A pistol , hmmmm, Muzzle Loading pistol would be a challenge!

Muzzleloader pistols are interesting creatures. Pickup this CVA back last Spring and hunted with it this past season a few times. Haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on anything yet though. Had the cross hairs on a young 4 point back in November but decided to let him walk at the last minute.

Attachments

• cva2.jpg
    cva2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,752
  • cva.jpg
    cva.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,757

CHRIS WILSON

Smo":39gi5o3p said:
Looks like you got it dialed in !

Played with it a good bit and finally found the sweet spot with powder and bullet combo. That's a 50 yard group shooting off of a sand bag. Load is 85 gr. (by volume) of BlackHorn 209 and a 225 gr .429 Barnes XPB inside a Harvester sabot. Chronographed a bit over 1500 fps. Hoping to fill a tag with it before the seasons out.

Latest posts