Removing carpet glue?

BigCityBubba

I am going to remove the carpet on my boat and replace it with something like seadek or hydro turf. What is the best way to remove all the old carpet glue? What is a good solvent?

Omega

I am going to remove the carpet on my boat and replace it with something like seadek or hydro turf. What is the best way to remove all the old carpet glue? What is a good solvent?
What type of substrate you working with? If wood maybe sanding would work, or a heat gun and scraper.

Gravey

Not sure where you're located but if near Lebanon call TN Boat Customs. They have what's called v-dek and it's a foam like sea dek. They did the floor in our boat and so far so good.
IMG_3757.jpeg

BigCityBubba

Not sure where you're located but if near Lebanon call TN Boat Customs. They have what's called v-dek and it's a foam like sea dek. They did the floor in our boat and so far so good.
View attachment 188074
They are a few hours away. That looks great. I am trying to do it myself to save money. I bought a project boat and I am trying not to to spend more to fix it up than I did for the boat itself. I am not sure I going to be successful at this point. I need to buy a trolling motor, batteries, battery charger, electronics, and flooring. I only paid $3500 for the boat.

Gvit

Did this last year - I have a new found respect for carpet glue.
Acetone/ thinner/ mineral spirits doesn't affect it, it won't (easily) scrape up, wire wheel just heats it up & moves it around, sandpaper gums up almost instantly. After an exhausting interweb search, I found several people that recommended this - it works great. Brush it on, let it set 10-15 minutes & scrape it away w/ a putty knife. They make an extra strength version - I think Lowes has it. I'd get it first.

Klean_Strip_QKS3.jpg

Latest posts