Ragweed

rvs9

A while back in one of my posts regarding overgrown fields, some of you advised me to mow sections on a annual rotation and let the ragweed grow. I had some future plots already plowed in these fields from this spring. They are taken over by ragweed. Been seeing deer in these plots all summer.

I have been mowing them only - trying to keep the ragweed height around 8-10 inches. The deer don't seem to mind. Question is should I let it grow a little higher or stay right on my current track?

Quailman

rvs, I wouldn't worry about mowing the ragweed anymore this summer. The growing season for ragweed will soon be over, so just let it continue to grow for now.

By the way, annual disking is great way to encourage ragweed. Disk in October/November or February/March. If you disk to late in the spring, you will encourage unwanted species, such as foxtail, crabgrass, and johnsongrass.

rvs9

Quailman,

Say I disc this fall/winter. Do I mow any next year? Reason is that whatever variety of ragweed I have, it gets high - like 4 feet tall or more. Not sure if the deer eat that stuff when it is that high.

Last year I mowed a section that had grown that high. I actually had to get off the tractor and go into the house. Eyes swelled shut and I started having trouble breathing. It got my attention. Now I were a respirator.

BSK

Deer will eat it even when it is tall. In fact, by mowing too often you will promote grasses over broadleaf weeds.

Latest posts